Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should Discover be used?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should Discover be used?

I just got approved for the Discover It card (Secured) and im curious. is this a card i should put lots of use thru? or should i just set it up for a recurring draft like my insurance. and only use it like that?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should Discover be used?

In my experience, they seem to like lots of use. Discover seems to be willing to grow with you (and fairly quickly once they decide they like you), so the more use you put through it, the better. My It is my daily use card and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. 

Of course it's also a good idea to run a lot through it if you have a big restaurant/gas spend in order to maximize your rewards!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i only opened it with $500.00 so figured i would use it as my daily card and will just make multiple payments thru out the month. thanls for ur help

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new card! Enjoy all the perks and rewards Discover has to offer!! Can't really offer much advice on which way to go with spending. There are those who seem to get good results by laying low and only charging a little. But, others make it their daily driver and see great increases! I never went over about 20% in my spending and received 2 $1500 increases, one at 3 months and one at 4 months and some change. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had zero history when I got my card in 7/16 with $600. I put about $150/mo on it on average, paying the week prior to keep 1% util. 7th statement cut a few days and today rep confirmed I graduated. Auto-CLI to $2.5k.

Message 5 of 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Disco doesn't need a big spend per month and sometimes seems to like it more when you don't spend that much.  I started at $4500 and only put my cable bill on it ~$125/mo.  If they were running a catagory that was a natural spends I might add something to the card monthly that way.  Anyway.... Last year I spent under $5K on the card and they gave me $29K in CLI's.... Moral of the story...... just use it, pay it, and repeat.

Message 6 of 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I use mine a lot, just got it in January. I used it a lot for gas and even resteraunts. I believe Secured get some cash back as well. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Blackswizz750 wrote:

I use mine a lot, just got it in January. I used it a lot for gas and even resteraunts. I believe Secured get some cash back as well. 

Gas and restaurants are 2% for It Chrome / It Chrome Secured. Doubled at end of year 1. Acceptance rate aside, far and away 100% the best secured card on the market.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.