Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did it! PenFed Approval!

tag
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

I did it! PenFed Approval!

Well, it's been quite the journey - so this is an approval thread and a special thanks to the MF community!

I found and joined MF early this year and read my arse off. What a great group of people. I started in the Rebuild forum with FICO 8s at 580, 620, and 582. This was in April. I needed to get things straight because I knew that there would very likely be a mortgage in my future. I followed advice, addressed all my bads as best I could, and in early July I had my 8s up to 708, 701, and 702. My middle mortgage score was 679. I did my mortgage pull and closed on my new mortgage about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't had any inquiries in 15+ months and knew that this was my window before the new mortgage reported. I was able to get a Lightstream personal loan to do some minor renovations on the new home (amazing how easy that process was) and then went to work on finding a REAL credit card. My tiny Optima card and my subprime Cred One were not cutting it. I went on a bit of a spree and couldn't find a card. Every bank was a NO - many because I had burned them years ago. NOs from AMEX, BB&T, Chase, Citi, Cap 1, the list goes on. I have no interest in a store card, I wanted some type of Rewards card that had a decent CL. I was at a loss and knew that the window was closing.

Well, the voices of MF regulars kept echoing in my head - find a Credit Union, find a Credit Union. So, I finally broke down and joined PenFed. It was an EQ9 pull and was accepted with a $100 savings deposit. I immediately applied for the Platinum Rewards Visa and lo and behold, APPROVED for $7,500! I did it! I did it!

My EQ9 was 751 at the time, but that won't last long when all these new accounts hit. But, in the end I think it was worth it because I got everything I could want for the short term.

Now off to the garden I go (for at least a year!) and I get to enjoy reading about everyone else's success here on the forums. Thanks again!

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: I did it! PenFed Approval!

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 2 of 26
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

You did it and that is a good SL. 

Congrats on the approval!

20200906_141415.gifdance, dance, dance....

Message 3 of 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes you did it, grats on the very nice Penfed SL Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 26
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@TheKid2 wrote:
Well, it's been quite the journey - so this is an approval thread and a special thanks to the MF community!

I found and joined MF early this year and read my arse off. What a great group of people. I started in the Rebuild forum with FICO 8s at 580, 620, and 582. This was in April. I needed to get things straight because I knew that there would very likely be a mortgage in my future. I followed advice, addressed all my bads as best I could, and in early July I had my 8s up to 708, 701, and 702. My middle mortgage score was 679. I did my mortgage pull and closed on my new mortgage about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't had any inquiries in 15+ months and knew that this was my window before the new mortgage reported. I was able to get a Lightstream personal loan to do some minor renovations on the new home (amazing how easy that process was) and then went to work on finding a REAL credit card. My tiny Optima card and my subprime Cred One were not cutting it. I went on a bit of a spree and couldn't find a card. Every bank was a NO - many because I had burned them years ago. NOs from AMEX, BB&T, Chase, Citi, Cap 1, the list goes on. I have no interest in a store card, I wanted some type of Rewards card that had a decent CL. I was at a loss and knew that the window was closing.

Well, the voices of MF regulars kept echoing in my head - find a Credit Union, find a Credit Union. So, I finally broke down and joined PenFed. It was an EQ9 pull and was accepted with a $100 savings deposit. I immediately applied for the Platinum Rewards Visa and lo and behold, APPROVED for $7,500! I did it! I did it!

My EQ9 was 751 at the time, but that won't last long when all these new accounts hit. But, in the end I think it was worth it because I got everything I could want for the short term.

Now off to the garden I go (for at least a year!) and I get to enjoy reading about everyone else's success here on the forums. Thanks again!

Fantastic story!! Congrats on your successes!!!

Moral of the story... Try the CUs first!! 😉 

Message 5 of 26
Shaw83
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your approval

current scores

Gardening since 2/12/21
Cap1 Qs $500
Citi secured-$300
Gettington-$800
Nfcu cash rewards $7000
NFCU nreward sec-$300
ch7 discharge 2013
Message 6 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Yay, you did do it!  Enjoy your new card while chilln' in the Garden.

P.S.

I wonder if you didn't qualify for BB&T because you had the Lightstream? (Suntrust)  I have BB&T and once I got my last card I no longer qualified for Lightstream....idk but seems like it has something to do with the merger perhaps(?).

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 26
Peanut4211982
Contributor

Awesome congrats!!

Starting scores EQ 523 TU 513 EX 512....
Scores 9-01-21 fico EX 670 ..TU 666..EQ 650

Message 8 of 26
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 9 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your Approval..

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.