cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn’t plan to app. PenFed had other ideas.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I didn’t plan to app. PenFed had other ideas.

@UH_HUH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I've been gardening since May when I opened a Visa with my local daily-driver CU and then bought a car a few weeks later. Hadn't planned to app for anything in the near future, but yesterday I got an unsolicited mailer from PenFed with a preapproval code for the PCR card. Hmmm.

Did some looking around on here - my EQ F9 was well in range for acceptance, only 2/12 for inquiries on EQ, and I've wanted to get a national CU under my belt to go with the three local ones I have.

After some issues with the acceptance code (what I thought was a "1" was actually a capital letter "I"), everything opened up. Plugged in the info, submitted, and five seconds later I got this.

211CFF7A-B5B2-435D-B389-513EDBF5A6C2.jpeg

Considering all the reports of them being conservative and some of the difficulties I've read about, I'm very happy with how easily this went. It is also my highest SL and third-highest card (only Lowe's and Overstock have higher limits), so that coupled with a better APR than my bank majors and the rewards of the card will put it into heavy rotation, likely replacing most of the spend I've given Disco lately, since they give me the finger every time I ask for a CLI. 

Looks like I'll wait until next spring at least to get into Navy. They were my next target but I'll let this cool a bit before going after them.

Basic DPs are in my signature. Additional info is AAoA 2y8m, AoOA 13y5m, and on EQ (which they are reported to pull), I have two old, long paid COs, one of which falls off in November and the other in April (those are the dates at which they hit five years of age, which excludes them at five years instead of seven due to the NY Purge Law), so they're 4y10m and 4y5m old.

Well   very happy to read about your

PenFed success @Anonymous !!!

Very nice. They will let you grow your cards and

are not so cheap anymore :-)

Many happy swipes to you Sir,

Cheers

Good to know! I'm going to use this to replace CapOne altogether and probably Disco outside of the beneficial 5% rotators going forward. Looking forward to seeing what PenFed can offer in the future too.

Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received one of the letters in the mail. The code did not work at first but I guess I was typing the numbers and letters incorrect. I found a few members here who said to change up a L to a 1 and it worked. Says approved for 25K. They say a link will come to sign and open a savings account for $5. Is this for real. This will be my top CL and bring my credit utilization way down. Hope it works out. My score is way up since I joined myFico. 

Message 32 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ontherise2020 wrote:

Thank you for this information! I did exactly what you did and I went back in an changed the 1 to a I and it worked....APPROVED $5,000 at the 15.49% APR!  So excited!!! Smiley Wink

Congrats on your approval!

I tried mine yesterday with both a 1 and an I and it wasn't working...app'ed without and approved anyway! Same SL as you Smiley Happy 

Message 33 of 34
Conceptual23
Frequent Contributor

Nice!  Thank you for sharing. 

Starting FICO 8s | 06/2018: EX 601 ✦ EQ 605 ✦ TU 590
Current FICO 8s | 9/2022: EX 732 ✦ EQ 739✦ TU 743
2023 Goal Score: 760+

Business Cards:

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.