cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I said I was in the garden butttttttt.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I said I was in the garden butttttttt.....

So after my crazy app spree that resulted in 5 approvals, 1 denial, and a slew of CLI's to my SCT Comenity cards I told myself "No more cut it off man!" But while I was home for Chirstmas I worked on my plans for continuing my rebuild next year a little and decided I had some fat to trim out. My Sync Chevron store card $250 cl is useless to me after my BCE approval because the 2% back on gas from that card nets me almost 2.5x more back than the 3 cent per gallon fuel credit from the Chevron card. I also apped for it from a preapproval without my usual research and after reading peoples experiences with it fully regreted doing it. It will be closed as soon as the next statement cuts and its payed off. I closed my rebuilder from Merrick $1000 cl as it was now my only card with an AF, besides my BoA Alaska card $3000 cl but I'll take the AF for the miles there, and the charge for the AF was coming up. It was one of my lower limits and just didn't make sense to keep at this time with the no fee BBVA Clearpoints $4000 cl, AMEX ED $500 cl on AMEX credit steps, and AMEX BCE $1000 cl that I have now. The Victorias Secret and Buckle cards I earned from the SCT are also on the chopping block for later in the year since the limits are lower, $500 and $250, and I really don't use either of them. I really just got them to help with utilization at the time and after getting caught up in a SCT approval high, I know you can see a pattern forming can't you, so they were really not the wisest cards to get but live and learn on this credit rebuild journey right?

So that leads me to the naughty thing I did with a good consequence though. I do a fair bit of shopping at Nordstrom and more so Nordstrom Rack and have their debit card to earn my points with them. Sitting in my families house bored on Christmas Eve I was perusing the forums and read about peoples sucess in getting approval for the Nordys card with profiles similar to mine so I decided to give it a go against all the voices in my head saying it was not worth the risk. But after making my plans on the cards I was going to close I wanted to keep my avilable credit close where it was and thought the worst that happens is a denial and a final inquiry to wait out during my gardening over the next yearish. I fully went into it expecting at best to only get approved for the store card which still would have been nice to have but oh Santa you did me oh so good! After apping I was approved for my choice of the store card or the Visa Platinum and obivously took the revolver cause DUH! Didn't show me what my SL was so after anxiously waiting a day I made the call and almost died when the rep told me it was a $3000 limit and to enjoy my new Nordstrom Visa! I honestly expected maybe a $1500 SL at best so that was a majorly nice Christmas gift to get! The combined limit of the cards I plan to close is $2000 so my gamble actually got me $1000 in more avaible credit than I started with and kept a revolver, and in my opinon a better one, in my wallet after closing one.

Should have I apped for it? Probably not no. Am I glad I did? Quite glad actually. I know adding so much to my report at once is not the wisest thing I could have done believe me you don't have to tell me twice! However after being in the credit desert of only getting preaprovals for Credit One and First Primier and Indigo, nothing against them per say as I know the purpose they serve but I was never able to stomach all the fees and am really glad I never gave into the HUNDREDS of mailers I got this past year, that high of getting approved for cards that were not only prime to prestigious, with higher limits than I've ever seen on my credit report, and the fact that I was able to get some of the new ones through cold apping for the first time ever since I started my rebuild got to me! I know I said this in my last post but this time I mean it and I am fully decked with my gardening gloves and spade for the foreseeable future, more than likely until this time next year, to tend to my seedlings and my ever growing and repairing scores!

Some data points, cause lord knows we love data points here lol, They pulled EX which at the time showed me at a 690, 8% utilization, 7 recent inquiries, 9 120 day late payments from 2010 on a federal student loan that also shows as charged off/assigned to the govt but paid off in 2016, and an AAOA of 13 months. My BoA and both AMEX aren't showing yet also as I haven't recieved the BoA card yet and I know AMEX takes a couple of statment cycles to report. All in all this Christmas app spree I went on resulted in a really favorable outcome I think. It was also a major indicator that all the hard work I've been putting into repearing my teenage/early 20's screwups is actually working and finally paying its dividends! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I know I said I was in the garden butttttttt.....

A big Congratulations to you! Garden time

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, OP!

Now get your butttttttt back in the garden where it belongs! Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much! And believe me I've got my gardening attire on and don't plan on leaving anytime soon! Gotta tend to my new babies and let some age get back on my AAOA before I can even THINK about any other apps! As much as the Barclays Uber card is calling my name for that 4% on dining and 2% on online purchases I'll just have to sit on my hands and hope come next December they're feeling generous lol!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the congratulations theyre much appreciated. Like I responded to the other comment believe me I'm fully decked to garden and let my Christmas presents age up and hopefully get some CLI's later in the year before I even consider another app haha!

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Grats on the success!!! Lol, get your BUTT in the garden BUT now!!Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha believe me my butt is firmly planted on a bench with a nice view of my garden and no intentions of leaving until at least this time next year.
Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, youd be amazed how much growth can be had in one year.Better things will come through patienceSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for renforcing that for me! I saw what just a year of responsible use of what I was graciously given at the start of my rebuild did so I'm hoping this next year is a banner year for my garden! I already have my short list of cards that are on the application block after my garden time, Barclays Uber, AMEX Delta Blue or Gold, Chase Amazon Prime(I recently read that its one of the cards not bound by 5/24 so I hope thats true cause then I may have a shot in hell at it), and a DISCO it are my goals for Dec 2018/Jan 2019, so I know what I'm working towards if I keep my butt planted in the garden so I think that helps. Ideally I would rather get the US Bank Cash+ but I don't know if thats as fessible yet as a DISCO it tbh. Having a goal at the end of it to keep myself on track seems like the best way for me to not stray out lol!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.