Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Off Amex Black List, IIB reporting.

tag
shols44
Frequent Contributor

I'm Off Amex Black List, IIB reporting.

A few years ago (2009), I CO an AMEX card and subsequently included that card in my IIB, Nov 2011. 

A lot has changed since then. I've checked my blacklist status by apping several times over the years and getting denied without a pull. I called up AMEX in December to ask for the account balance and voluntarily offfered to PIF. I asked for nothing in return. I sent them a check for $2700 and it was cashed a few days later. 1 day after check was cashed, I apped for a random card knowing EX was locked. App went into pending and I got a call from AMEX asking me to unlock and call back to re-app. I KNEW I WAS off blacklist (24hours later) if they were willing to pull.

I waited until today and checked pre-qual offers. 25K PRG, 15K Everday regular and $100 Blue cash (DUDS). I did a few browser tricks till I found a 50K PRG offer and $250 BCP offer. I applied and instantly approved for both. Like previous data points, looks like you are off BL as soon as you pay back, and you should be good with decent file even if IIB reporting. 

Thrilled to be back in with AMEX. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm Off Amex Black List, IIB reporting.

@shols44

I moved your post post to the approvals forum because of the two Amex approvals.

Good job on getting off the BL and it’s a good data point for those in similar situations.  Amex, like a lot of other creditors, will let you back in but that usually requires repayment even if it was IIB.  Too often people think that because they are not legally required to repay because of the BK that these creditors will just forget and forgive.  A lot of them have very long memories.

Congrats on the approvals and SUBs.

Message 2 of 10
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your approvals! 

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicely done! Hope you're credit profile continues to prosper! Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex approvals.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your success. Very nice scores too.
Message 6 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

wrote:

A few years ago (2009), I CO an AMEX card and subsequently included that card in my IIB, Nov 2011. 

A lot has changed since then. I've checked my blacklist status by apping several times over the years and getting denied without a pull. I called up AMEX in December to ask for the account balance and voluntarily offfered to PIF. I asked for nothing in return. I sent them a check for $2700 and it was cashed a few days later. 1 day after check was cashed, I apped for a random card knowing EX was locked. App went into pending and I got a call from AMEX asking me to unlock and call back to re-app. I KNEW I WAS off blacklist (24hours later) if they were willing to pull.

I waited until today and checked pre-qual offers. 25K PRG, 15K Everday regular and $100 Blue cash (DUDS). I did a few browser tricks till I found a 50K PRG offer and $250 BCP offer. I applied and instantly approved for both. Like previous data points, looks like you are off BL as soon as you pay back, and you should be good with decent file even if IIB reporting. 

First congrats on getting back in with them, thats a huge deal! Smiley Happy Amex and Chase are by far the toughest lenders to get back in with after a burn, and its such a great victoy when it happens!!  

Secondly,  I did want to go ahead and state a few things so there isnt any confusion to others who may be reading your post..... 

1.  In a BK7, no prior debts need or have to be paid back......ever.  That is strictly voluntary!  Thats the whole purpose of a Ch.7.    Now, In a 13, thats a BK payment plan, so naturally a lender is paid back. 

2. Not everyone who burns Amex in a BK, has to pay them back in order to get off their BL, or be approved eventually for a card again. There are several cases documented here on the forums. Does it help in making sure you get off their BL sooner if you pay them back??? sure, but its not required, and there are also reported cases of that as well. 

Folks just need to know that in a BK7,  they arent required to pay back any lender that was IIB, unless they want too for whatever their personal reasons are for doing it. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
shols44
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

First congrats on getting back in with them, thats a huge deal! Smiley Happy Amex and Chase are by far the toughest lenders to get back in with after a burn, and its such a great victoy when it happens!!  

Secondly,  I did want to go ahead and state a few things so there isnt any confusion to others who may be reading your post..... 

1.  In a BK7, no prior debts need or have to be paid back......ever.  That is strictly voluntary!  Thats the whole purpose of a Ch.7.    Now, In a 13, thats a BK payment plan, so naturally a lender is paid back. 

2. Not everyone who burns Amex in a BK, has to pay them back in order to get off their BL, or be approved eventually for a card again. There are several cases documented here on the forums. Does it help in making sure you get off their BL sooner if you pay them back??? sure, but its not required, and there are also reported cases of that as well. 

Folks just need to know that in a BK7,  they arent required to pay back any lender that was IIB, unless they want too for whatever their personal reasons are for doing it. Smiley Wink

@Anonymous points @pizza1

I stated that this was entirely voluntary. The agent even read a script about they were not asking me to do anything since this was a IIB account. FWIW, I did not pay chase back and I have both CSP and CSR and I certainly read a few accounts of getting back in with AMEX after a CO or Chap7. My situation was clearly related to paying them back considering they would never even bother to HP me and within 24 hours of receiving payment, my app went through. 

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for folks to go pay amex back if you filed chap 7. I'm simpling adding a data point regarding CO, IIB, IIB reporting, timeline and how quickly blacklist was resolved (24 hours). However, if you really want (like pretty please) back in with AMEX like I did, I think its quickly looking like a near guarantee recently once you pay back.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 8 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

wrote:

@shols44

I moved your post post to the approvals forum because of the two Amex approvals.

Good job on getting off the BL and it’s a good data point for those in similar situations.  Amex, like a lot of other creditors, will let you back in but that usually requires repayment even if it was IIB.  Too often people think that because they are not legally required to repay because of the BK that these creditors will just forget and forgive.  A lot of them have very long memories.

Congrats on the approvals and SUBs.

+1 

Congrats OP on the approval and repaying the debt that occured whether required to or not by law.  You certainly got in quicker by paying the debt back as Amex has a long memory.  Even longer depending on how much a person burns them for.

Message 9 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Anonymous points @pizza1

I stated that this was entirely voluntary. The agent even read a script about they were not asking me to do anything since this was a IIB account. FWIW, I did not pay chase back and I have both CSP and CSR and I certainly read a few accounts of getting back in with AMEX after a CO or Chap7. My situation was clearly related to paying them back considering they would never even bother to HP me and within 24 hours of receiving payment, my app went through. 

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for folks to go pay amex back if you filed chap 7. I'm simpling adding a data point regarding CO, IIB, IIB reporting, timeline and how quickly blacklist was resolved (24 hours). However, if you really want (like pretty please) back in with AMEX like I did, I think its quickly looking like a near guarantee recently once you pay back.

Its so funny that Amex is like the #1 lender everyone that has had an IIB wants to get back in with, LOL..including me!  Though I didnt burn them, and have been off their BL for quite some time (9 yrs but whose counting, lol), I will still have to wait till Im 5 yrs post file date...which is this year. Smiley Wink

Congrats on the amazing approval again , and for the data points! The extra data really helps Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.