Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm back in with Citi! :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm back in with Citi! :)

I received an invitation mailer for the Citi double cash and was denied. I even reconed and no go. However, I decided to try my luck at Macy's again since more scores were in the low 600s the last time I applied and my EX is now in the high 600s.

Ok...so this is my year of approvals and next year will be my year of gardening. (Yes...I'm trying to convince myself). Surprised that I was approved for Macy's. I burned them many years ago on two Macy's accounts and a Shell business gas card. So glad they gave me another chance. It's rare that I shop there and I will only utilize coupons and Black Friday sales, so I don't see myself getting into any trouble this time around. I was instantly approved for $400...not bad as I thought I would have gotten nothing or $100 due to my past history.

Also applied for the Drive 4 Five card, since I always buy Shell gas and rarely use my Marathon card. I was instantly approved for $600. This is clearly more than I need for fuel and is better than my $200 Marathon limit.

Got too excited and tried for Home Depot, as I am truly about to make a home improvement purchase. Got the wait message. Hopefully, it's just a verification. Either way, I'm done with Citi apps, as I don't want to be looked at as a red flag. Just happy to be back in.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm back in with Citi! :)

Congrats on your approvals!! I burned Citi too about 15 years ago. They sued me. So I had a judgment for my Platinum and Sears cards. The judgments fell off years ago though.

I tried for a Sears card a few times since then..... no dice! Which is understandable. Last November, all of my other baddies fell off, so I went on an app spree. I tried for a Home Depot card, which I was hesitant, because it was backed by Citi. I was not instantly approved, but had to call in for verification. Then, approved for $500. I was very happy to be back in with Citi in any kind of way.

Fast forward today.....my Home Depot card is now at $6500. So I'm definitely treating this card with kid gloves.
Message 2 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats! I also burned citi in bk about 15 years ado to the tune of $6,500😞

I haven't tried to get back in, but I would really like to get the new Costco Visa. 

Congrats again!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations. I too got Macys to give me a 2nd chance. I burned em back when I was a youngin... wasn't as smart as I am now. And thought I could do what I wantes and have no cares in the world.

Well, they let me back in, in Spetember 2015 with a $300 limit. I'm now at $5500. So, I'm doing something right.
I usually ask for a limit increase every 2-3 months.
Message 4 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I received an invitation mailer for the Citi double cash and was denied. I even reconed and no go. However, I decided to try my luck at Macy's again since more scores were in the low 600s the last time I applied and my EX is now in the high 600s.

Ok...so this is my year of approvals and next year will be my year of gardening. (Yes...I'm trying to convince myself). Surprised that I was approved for Macy's. I burned them many years ago on two Macy's accounts and a Shell business gas card. So glad they gave me another chance. It's rare that I shop there and I will only utilize coupons and Black Friday sales, so I don't see myself getting into any trouble this time around. I was instantly approved for $400...not bad as I thought I would have gotten nothing or $100 due to my past history.

Also applied for the Drive 4 Five card, since I always buy Shell gas and rarely use my Marathon card. I was instantly approved for $600. This is clearly more than I need for fuel and is better than my $200 Marathon limit.

Got too excited and tried for Home Depot, as I am truly about to make a home improvement purchase. Got the wait message. Hopefully, it's just a verification. Either way, I'm done with Citi apps, as I don't want to be looked at as a red flag. Just happy to be back in.

People can bash the gas cards all they want, but the Shell card isnt a bad deal, at least for me, in my area (where almost every station charges 7-10 cents extra for credit). Put that along with the 5 cent per gallon discount, plus a minimum of 3 cents per gallon for Fuel Rewards, and the savings are in the 15 cent per gallon range.

Comenity should give you a CLI after 6 months of payments on the Marathon card... my son's just went from 400-900 when he requested one at 6 months

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, Ileshia, that is awesome! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new "semi-Citi" approval. I say this because Citi "branded" cards are handled differently by Citi and the same is true for cards backed by Cap-1, BoA and other banks that issue branded and "backed" cards. You can have a long history with citi-backed cards, Exxon, Home Depot, Wawa, Macy's, Best Buy, etc and that won't get you any specific credit with Citi "branded" cards like DC. 

There are a lot of threads on MyFico forums about this, but on a personal note I will say I can get any Citi-backed card and I have opened and closed Macy's, Brooks Brothers, Exxon, Wawa and a bunch of  more (currently have a $25k CL with Home Depot and a low limit Best Buy Visa, that I don't use), but Citi will NOT approve me for a branded Citi card such as Hilton, or DC or the others. I have cards with almost all major issuers, low utility, high limits, Fico scores 774 - 800- 747, good income and I've never burned Citi but....no go. 

Enjoy the Macy's card, it will grow quickly - just in time for the holidays Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on your approvals!! I burned Citi too about 15 years ago. They sued me. So I had a judgment for my Platinum and Sears cards. The judgments fell off years ago though.

I tried for a Sears card a few times since then..... no dice! Which is understandable. Last November, all of my other baddies fell off, so I went on an app spree. I tried for a Home Depot card, which I was hesitant, because it was backed by Citi. I was not instantly approved, but had to call in for verification. Then, approved for $500. I was very happy to be back in with Citi in any kind of way.

Fast forward today.....my Home Depot card is now at $6500. So I'm definitely treating this card with kid gloves.

Congrats on Home Depot! I called in to find out what was going on with my app. It was declined due to too many inquiries. Of course, I wasn't surprised. Happy for the Macy's & Shell cards. They are good enough for me.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Congrats on your new "semi-Citi" approval. I say this because Citi "branded" cards are handled differently by Citi and the same is true for cards backed by Cap-1, BoA and other banks that issue branded and "backed" cards. You can have a long history with citi-backed cards, Exxon, Home Depot, Wawa, Macy's, Best Buy, etc and that won't get you any specific credit with Citi "branded" cards like DC. 

There are a lot of threads on MyFico forums about this, but on a personal note I will say I can get any Citi-backed card and I have opened and closed Macy's, Brooks Brothers, Exxon, Wawa and a bunch of  more (currently have a $25k CL with Home Depot and a low limit Best Buy Visa, that I don't use), but Citi will NOT approve me for a branded Citi card such as Hilton, or DC or the others. I have cards with almost all major issuers, low utility, high limits, Fico scores 774 - 800- 747, good income and I've never burned Citi but....no go. 

Enjoy the Macy's card, it will grow quickly - just in time for the holidays Smiley Wink

Thanks for the explanation. Luckily for me, I only wanted the Citi backed store cards. The DC card didn't peak my interest until I received the mailer.  Hopefully in the future I can upgrade to the Shell Mastercard and Macy's AMEX.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.