Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm in with NFCU!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm in with NFCU!

I'm hearing all these success stories with NFCU. Is there an backdoor way for me to join NFCU

If so, please kindly guide me. Got a family member who served in the armed forces during the 1980's.

These amazing credit lines is great with NFCU.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats, NFCU is the best and a true gift for those who have served and their family members.  We moved to NFCU for our banking a couple of years ago, the closest branch is 100 miles away but it hasnt been an issue at all.  They make everything doable easily from your phone or computer.  CLOC has a max of 15k,  you apply and once approved they send you a seperate set of checks that you can use for anything you want or you can just use CLOC as overdraft protection (no fees for using it as OD).  It is a fantastic security blanket to have that 15k sitting there just in case.  Some use it to pay down CCs because the interest is lower than many cards and it can help with utlitization.    If your married its not a bad idea to have your wife or husband become a member and make them joint on your account and then establish an account for them that your joint on, that way you can have two CLOCs at 15k each.  Also your spouse can take advantage of their generous CC limits.  We love NFCU and would never leave them. 

How do you deposit cash and physical checks?

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats, NFCU is the best and a true gift for those who have served and their family members.  We moved to NFCU for our banking a couple of years ago, the closest branch is 100 miles away but it hasnt been an issue at all.  They make everything doable easily from your phone or computer.  CLOC has a max of 15k,  you apply and once approved they send you a seperate set of checks that you can use for anything you want or you can just use CLOC as overdraft protection (no fees for using it as OD).  It is a fantastic security blanket to have that 15k sitting there just in case.  Some use it to pay down CCs because the interest is lower than many cards and it can help with utlitization.    If your married its not a bad idea to have your wife or husband become a member and make them joint on your account and then establish an account for them that your joint on, that way you can have two CLOCs at 15k each.  Also your spouse can take advantage of their generous CC limits.  We love NFCU and would never leave them. 

NFCU has remote deposit for physical checks.  However, for physical checks and cash NFCU is a member of CO-OP shared branches. Which means you can bank at any CO-OP branch as if it were a NFCU branch.  https://www.navyfederal.org/branches-atms/co-op-network-atms.php

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU has remote deposit for physical checks.  However, for physical checks and cash NFCU is a member of CO-OP shared branches. Which means you can bank at any CO-OP branch as if it were a NFCU branch.  https://www.navyfederal.org/branches-atms/co-op-network-atms.php

Thanks for the help.

So there's a 711 that's very close to me with that type of ATM. That means I can use that ATM for free to deposit cash and physical checks? That would be super convenient if that's the case. It's almost like having a branch right next to me..

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

So there's a 711 that's very close to me with that type of ATM. That means I can use that ATM for free to deposit cash and physical checks? That would be super convenient if that's the case. It's almost like having a branch right next to me..

As long as the ATM accepts deposits, then Yes.  However, a better way is to go into a CO-OP branch and deposit.  Most credit unions are CO-OP which means you can use as if it were NFCU.  Here is the CO-OP locator.  Any credit union in this locator can be used as an NFCU branch.  The nearest NFCU to me is about a 90-minute drive. So I use a CO-OP credit union that's 15 minutes away if needed.  However, I usually I just use my smartphone for remote deposits. https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

Message 15 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

As long as the ATM accepts deposits, then Yes.  However, a better way is to go into a CO-OP branch and deposit.  Most credit unions are CO-OP which means you can use as if it were NFCU.  Here is the CO-OP locator.  Any credit union in this locator can be used as an NFCU branch.  The nearest NFCU to me is about a 90-minute drive. So I use a CO-OP credit union that's 15 minutes away if needed.  However, I usually I just use my smartphone for remote deposits. https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

Unless things have recently changed, NFCU participates in the CO-OP ATM network, but not shared branch banking... in other words, you can't make transactions in-branch at non-NFCU locations, just participating ATMs (and the hold times for deposits - even cash - can be up to five days).  I would love to find out this has changed, though.

Back to the topic, huge congrats @germese1975 on the awesome approvals!  screamer.gif

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Unless things have recently changed, NFCU participates in the CO-OP ATM network, but not shared branch banking... in other words, you can't make transactions in-branch at non-NFCU locations, just participating ATMs (and the hold times for deposits - even cash - can be up to five days).  I would love to find out this has changed, though.

Back to the topic, huge congrats @germese1975 on the awesome approvals!  screamer.gif

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Toast-Fireworks-Gif.gif

I belong to 3 different credit unions and have had no problem using the shared branches with 2 of them.  I just assumed NFCU is the same.  I've never heard of a credit union just participating in the ATM's and not the shared branch.  You are probably very correct.  

Message 17 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I belong to 3 different credit unions and have had no problem using the shared branches with 2 of them.  I just assumed NFCU is the same.  I've never heard of a credit union just participating in the ATM's and not the shared branch.  You are probably very correct.  

It seems NFCU is one of the few exceptions (trust me, if they were to change this it would be a game-changer...)

Here's another thread where it was discussed before:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-and-CO-OP-ATM-Deposits/td-p/4477832

From what I've read and accoring to the CU search tool, PenFed doens't participate, either. 

https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/?t=3

Message 18 of 24
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I use the Mobile app to deposit checks. It works great never a problem.

Message 19 of 24
germese1975
Regular Contributor

Thank you everybody! Definitely a great approval for me. And thank you for the info about banking with NFCU. I'll probably use the mobile deposit more than anything else. Plus being military, there seems to be a branch everywhere I'd go for any length of time.
Gardening as of: 23 JUL 2017 / FICO 8 (As of 14 Jul 2017): EQ: 663, TU: 723, EX: 680

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.