Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I must be on a roll CLI Best Buy AGAIN!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must be on a roll CLI Best Buy AGAIN!

So recently if you seen my post from about 2 weeks or so ago, you will know I took a hard pull for a best buy visa CLI. At the time I was stupid and applied when I was at $1800 of my $2000 limit. When I applied they told me to call in, so I did. They said they could approve me for $500, I said okay can it be higher? The rep said no that is the most I could get, so I took it. 

Fast forward to 5 days ago I ended up paying off the balance in full. I went to the website and applied for another CLI of 10k to match my NFCU Flagship card, wishful thinking. It didn't say I was denied, it said I had to call in. I called and they connected me to some department called "big ticket". I explained that I wanted a higher limit for a purchase, because I figured that is what they wanted to hear. They put me on hold and came back and said that I wasn't approved. I was kind of upset, but figured it make since because they just gave me $500 a few days ago. So then today, I started thinking, why would they have me call in, usually it would be an instant denial? So I went back to the site and applied again, this time asking for only an $1500 increase to $4000......INSTANT APPROVAL!!!! So i guess, they wanted to give me an increase because I paid it off, but $10k was too much to ask for. It wasn't anymore hard pulls either I guess because they had already pulled my report 2 weeks ago? 

So just to give a timeline, Applied and approved for the card Late July, with a SL of $2000, applied for a CLI 2 weeks ago and approved for $500 increase to $2500, applied for increase from $2500 to $10k 5 days ago and denied, Today applied for increase from $2500 to $4000, instant approval. 

I know sure if this is a YMMV situation but if you apply for a CLI and you are told to call in, and they deny you, you might want to consider going back and applying for a lower CLI than what you asked for. That way you don't take a hard pull for nothing.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: I must be on a roll CLI Best Buy AGAIN!

Interesting because their denials are usually final. I accidently ,lol and grr, took a hp for a denied cli request with BB recently, maybe i should p them off by asking againSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it was very odd. Is there a way I screen shot and share emails? That way you can see approvals and the dates. I thought it was odd but hey, I'll take it!
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your CLI !!!!

Message 4 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 11
Legal_Girl
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your increase!!!!

Homeowner Again as of July 17, 2014. Thanks to the VA and NFCU. FICOs EQ - 786/EX - 782/TU - 778/Quicksilver $3,500 / Cred 1 $2,875 / 1st Natl $4,250/ Kohls Visa $5k / Mercury MC $5,850 / NFCU Visa Sig Cash Rew $27k/ Lowes $25k / Best Buy Visa $11k/ NFCU LOC $15k / Walmart MC $7.5k / Chase Freedom Unlimited $1,500 / Discover IT $27,000 / Discover IT Chrome $21,500 / Citi DC $7,300 / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,500 / Citi Simplicity $18,500 / Citi Premier $8,200 / Care Credit $10k/ AMEX Gold - NSL / Chase Sapphire Preferred $20,500
Message 6 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Being persistent paid off. Congrats!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow this is great! And here I thought I had to wait until the 6 month mark to ask for a CLI on my BB card.

Message 8 of 11
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your CLI! Interesting on how it worked out but glad it did.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 11
Gonzozap
Frequent Contributor

I went for the Best Buy CLI.  My credit reports are all blocked.  They gave me a measly $900 increase w/o a pull.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.