Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG Approval, now how to get them to match the new promo of 100k points

tag
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

IHG Approval, now how to get them to match the new promo of 100k points

So, I was approved for the IHG with a SL of $22,000 on Sunday. I initially wanted this CC as a "starter" hotel CC before then getting the Marriott and then the Ritz. Since I do tend to stay at their hotels when I need a hotel, it just made sense. I wasn't planning on actually app'ing for it until later, but circumstances were such that I needed to app for the Slate, so it just made sense to do so now, so I could combine the INQs. I'm really happy that I did because I plan on take a trip to Vegas in Oct and the Venetian looks amazinggggggggg. I'm tempted to splurge this one time and stay there. When I searched for rooms, they had two choices for just a mere (Smiley LOL) $369/night. Time will tell if I'll jump on this or if I'll try and stay close to wherever the rest of my gfs will be staying. 

Okay, so I heard that I could contact Chase and see if they would be willing to match the 100k promo they had recently. Well, I decided to search and see if I could find the terms so I can tell them exactly what I'm looking for them to match. Turns out, they have a 100k promo now. So I called in and asked if they could match this promo since I wasn't approved but a few days ago. The CSR I spoke to said that the only way they could see if they could match the offer, was after I met the spend first. She said then I could call in and they would send the request over to marketing, and then marketing would decide if they'll match it. Now, I've read about others getting promo matches, but don't recall this being a requirement. Is this true, or should I call back and speak to another CSR? 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IHG Approval, now how to get them to match the new promo of 100k points

Promo matches do happen, but in a case by case basis at the discretion of the Bank.  Did you apply with any promo at all?  The CSR didn't guarantee the promo, she just said to call back after meeting the spending.

I would call back and talk to someone else, you never know Smiley Wink

Good luck!

Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great approval LadyJ Smiley Happy. Fantastic cl , hope you have lots of fun in OctoberSmiley Happy now go persuade them to match the offerSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can help, as i just did this. My details are exactly yours, except i apped july 8th i believe. Called immediately, nice gal said she would put a note on file and reminded me the new offer required 2k spend. Call when you get that done. So, before statement cut, i had a bit over the 2k. I called, spoke to a gentleman who said it  was already in process.  That didn't match what the first gal said, and turned out to be bull. Statement closed and 80k points posted. Gave it one week. Nothing. So, called back in and got another gal this time. Told her the original story plus that i thought the guy didn't do his job as the call didn't seem right. She had no trouble finding the original note as to the upgrade match, said everything looks good and she'll send it to marketing, as the previous agent did not. 

8 or 9 days later, i rec'd a letter from Chase saying all was good and the 20k points would post at the next billing cycle end. Oh, and i added my spouse on the third call for another 5k, those have already posted as well.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 15
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Promo matches do happen, but in a case by case basis at the discretion of the Bank.  Did you apply with any promo at all?  The CSR didn't guarantee the promo, she just said to call back after meeting the spending.

Good luck!

Hey c00mtg thanks! And yes I app'ed with a promo for 80k. I'm going to call the number on the back of the card, which I received Saturday, and see what the IHG CSR says. I've already met the spend for the 80k with my laptop purchase yesterday. If the other CSR says that I have to meet the spend before they agree to match the promo, then I guess that's what I'll have to do. I just thought it was strange when I asked to speak to another CSR agent to confirm, I was mysteriously disconnected. 

Message 5 of 15
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Thanks AJC!! I've never been to Vegas, so I'm really looking forward to it. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Awesome Zipperhead, thanks! I already met the 80k spend, so I'll call the IHG CSR agent and have them make a note on my account and then call back after I've meet the additional spend. It's funny, I added an AU, for the additional 5k, and yet when I log in, I don't see an AU on my account. With the accidental disconnect and this, Friday just wasn't my day technology-wise. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

Hey c00mtg thanks! And yes I app'ed with a promo for 80k. I'm going to call the number on the back of the card, which I received Saturday, and see what the IHG CSR says. I've already met the spend for the 80k with my laptop purchase yesterday. If the other CSR says that I have to meet the spend before they agree to match the promo, then I guess that's what I'll have to do. I just thought it was strange when I asked to speak to another CSR agent to confirm, I was mysteriously disconnected. 

No worries, come back and let us know how it went.  Hope you get the 100K!

Message 8 of 15
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

No worries, come back and let us know how it went.  Hope you get the 100K!

Will do, thanks agian! Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 15
minski
Established Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

So, I was approved for the IHG with a SL of $22,000 on Sunday. I initially wanted this CC as a "starter" hotel CC before then getting the Marriott and then the Ritz. Since I do tend to stay at their hotels when I need a hotel, it just made sense. I wasn't planning on actually app'ing for it until later, but circumstances were such that I needed to app for the Slate, so it just made sense to do so now, so I could combine the INQs. I'm really happy that I did because I plan on take a trip to Vegas in Oct and the Venetian looks amazinggggggggg. I'm tempted to splurge this one time and stay there. When I searched for rooms, they had two choices for just a mere (Smiley LOL) $369/night. Time will tell if I'll jump on this or if I'll try and stay close to wherever the rest of my gfs will be staying. 

Okay, so I heard that I could contact Chase and see if they would be willing to match the 100k promo they had recently. Well, I decided to search and see if I could find the terms so I can tell them exactly what I'm looking for them to match. Turns out, they have a 100k promo now. So I called in and asked if they could match this promo since I wasn't approved but a few days ago. The CSR I spoke to said that the only way they could see if they could match the offer, was after I met the spend first. She said then I could call in and they would send the request over to marketing, and then marketing would decide if they'll match it. Now, I've read about others getting promo matches, but don't recall this being a requirement. Is this true, or should I call back and speak to another CSR? 

Can you elaborate? What do you mean that they have a 100K promo now? Where do I find this promo so that I can apply under it? When I looked it up via Google, I found the page but when I clicked apply, got another page saying that the particular promo isn't available. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.