cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Approval for Amazon Visa, but low CL?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Instant Approval for Amazon Visa, but low CL?

Don't sound uhm...overly confident or aggressive...
Say that this limit will not suffice as it is too low, and you can't take advantage of the rewards if it remains that low as it would mess up your utilization.
Ask for $5k. They'll counter if that's too high...I learned to ask for higher limits here.
A $5k limit reallly only gives you $500 of purchasing power anyway if you're aiming for under 10% util.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I would NOT mention any newly opened accounts at all. That's just me
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I would NOT mention any newly opened accounts at all. That's just me

^ agree. They might even just close your account outright if they find out about unknown accounts that they did not know about.

Just explain to them you make big purchases on your amex card and you always pay in full without fail. You want a chase amazon now because you're buying most of the stuff on amazon and the rewards structure is a lot better than your amex, so you plan to use it as your primary card now. You could explain you're trying to buy a new TV or something expensive that will require a higher CL in order to process a large payment. They might be asking u why do you need such a high CL as well for your income level. You probably will need to explain where that money is coming from and going to. For example, are u helping your family members buy stuff and they reimburse you before/after? 

The utilization argument works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't because utilization means ur carrying a balance past the current statement cycle. You can spend $400 on a $400 CL card and have 0% utilization as long as you pay in full before statement cuts.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called in (Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)) and asked about it and the guy wouldn't budge at all. He said unfortunately that was what was offered, I explained that I charge much more than that on my Gold card frequently and have a flawless history. He said I could apply for a CLI but it would be a HP. Do you guys think this is worth it? Should I call back tomorrow morning and try again?

Message 14 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

call again tomorrow and try again.

Avoid the HP. You will not get a CLI with a HP right now.

If HP is the only way out, do it after 6-12 months of solid history with Chase.

They gave you a toy limit most likely because of your score, income level, and lack of prior relationship with Chase.

Chase is kinda a wild goose with auto CLI. But as long as you maintain your account in good standing, even a HP CLI is worth it.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enharu wrote:

call again tomorrow and try again.

Avoid the HP. You will not get a CLI with a HP right now.

If HP is the only way out, do it after 6-12 months of solid history with Chase.

They gave you a toy limit most likely because of your score, income level, and lack of prior relationship with Chase.

Chase is kinda a wild goose with auto CLI. But as long as you maintain your account in good standing, even a HP CLI is worth it.

Ok, I'll call again bright and early tomorrow morning and try for a SP increase. I think I may have been a little too easy going this time. I was trying to strike a balance between courteous and friendly, and kinda confident. I think I leaned too far to the courteous side. Tomorrow I'll start off and just say "I charge large amounts on my Gold card every month and always PIF without fail, and a lot of my purchases are through Amazon, so I was hoping to earn more rewards this way." I'll also throw in that many friends/family members buy things through me from Amazon due to my prime membership and then reimburse me, so I spend more than my income would indicate and PIF flawlessly.

If that doesn't work, I guess I could either try to call the EO or just wait..

Message 16 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah... Call two to three times before you give up...
I went from outright denial on a Freedom app to a $5k approval :-D

Youve got the easy part down! Getting approved! You just need a higher limit :-) I noticed Chase responded when I politely took control of the conversation and made my case :-)

Good luck!!
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Youve got the easy part down! Getting approved! You just need a higher limit :-) I noticed Chase responded when I politely took control of the conversation and made my case :-)

Good luck!!

I tried again, this one was just more stone cold than the first one. She said the absolute only way is to do another HP, I reiterated that the $400 limit is not nearly enough to take advantage of the perks of the card, and that I typically charge well more than that every month on my AMEX Gold and PIF flawlessly. She said she can't go outside of Chase policy and the only way would be a HP. She said your credit history is very short, which it is, and that my income is low, which it is, but still $400?! I can't even make a big purchase on Amazon if I wanted to! 

Any other suggestions or am I stuck at this point? I feel like this is such a wasted HP, almost makes me want to apply for another card for my goals (was hoping to get 2 or 3 cards with decent $2k limits and just let them grow for the next two years), or should I just sit back and relax with my Gold card, new BCE, and this toy card Amazon Visa till I graduate in a few years and then have real income?

Kinda frustrated lol

Message 18 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Start with pulling your FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!!

I tried again, this one was just more stone cold than the first one. She said the absolute only way is to do another HP, I reiterated that the $400 limit is not nearly enough to take advantage of the perks of the card, and that I typically charge well more than that every month on my AMEX Gold and PIF flawlessly. She said she can't go outside of Chase policy and the only way would be a HP. She said your credit history is very short, which it is, and that my income is low, which it is, but still $400?! I can't even make a big purchase on Amazon if I wanted to! 

Any other suggestions or am I stuck at this point? I feel like this is such a wasted HP, almost makes me want to apply for another card for my goals (was hoping to get 2 or 3 cards with decent $2k limits and just let them grow for the next two years), or should I just sit back and relax with my Gold card, new BCE, and this toy card Amazon Visa till I graduate in a few years and then have real income?

Kinda frustrated lol

I think this is a good plan... just sit back, relax, and garden for 12 months... Then you can ask for CLI.   Be sure to ask for CLI on BCE in 61 days after activating the card

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:

Start with pulling your FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!!

Kinda frustrated lol

I think this is a good plan... just sit back, relax, and garden for 12 months... Then you can ask for CLI.   Be sure to ask for CLI on BCE in 61 days after activating the card

Thanks for your help! I guess I'll just go ahead and relax. From what I've heard, sometimes with Chase, after months of solid reporting, you have better luck just flat out applying for a new card. I was genuinely looking to use the Amazon stuff for quite a bit though, so we'll see. For now, I suppose I'll garden and go for the 3x CLI from AMEX in 61 days. Hopefully that, combined with solid reporting for another 6-12 months (I have AMEX gold HP coming off in August) with Chase, will lead to either a reasonable CLI or just anoher card with a higher CL.

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.