Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting data points on my NFCU CLI, 2nd card, and CLOC approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting data points on my NFCU CLI, 2nd card, and CLOC approvals

My data points are contrary to a lot of things I have read on the board about Navy Federal. I just thought I would share since YMMV with your experience.

Ive understood that you should always request max and they will counter. NOT true for me. A week ago I applied for CLOC of 15k and got instant denial. EQ hard pull. Applied again a couple hours later and this time only asked for 4K. Went to review. Was approved an hour later for 4K. Obviously they didn’t like me asking for full amount and didn’t even bother to counter offer. NO additional hard pull. 👍

Also true with my CLI request today at 91/3 for my Cash rewards card. Started with limit of 1k. Asked for 10k because I also wanted to app for second card and didn’t want to overdo my exposure with them by asking for 25k. Went to review. Email a couple hours later. Denied. NO HARD PULL. Started wondering if I had asked for too much like last week. Also thought it was interesting I didn’t get a hard pull since I thought you had to wait til after AR in January. So I figured what the heck and decided to pull the trigger again for a smaller CLI and see what happened because of my CLOC experience a week ago. This time I only asked for 3k. INSTANT APPROVAL. NO HARD PULL. 👍

Also applied for 2nd card a moment after my first CLI attempt. INSTANT APPROVAL for GoRewards card. I was hoping maybe a 5k limit.... nope..... $15,000!!!!! By far my highest limit. 👍

I’m really going in the garden now. I promise. 😉

APPROVALS THIS WEEK
NFCU CLOC - 4k
NFCU Cash Rewards 91/3 CLI - 1k - 3k
NFCU Go Rewards - SL 15k

14 Inquiries in last 12 months.
11 months average age of accounts.

I have screen shots of my approvals but can’t figure out how to add images to the forum posts.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting data points on my NFCU CLI, 2nd card, and CLOC approvals

I need to get into NFCU (my brother is a Lt Col USMC). Your scores aren’t much higher than mine and profile is very similar. That’s some great results!
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU was the best thing I have done this year for my credit rebuild! Joined in August off my deceased grandfathers service in WW2. I also moved my checking and savings to them from BOA since they have no minimum fees like BOA does!
Message 3 of 17
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol Navy is crazy. Denied for CLI to 10K but turns around and gives a new card for 15K. Smiley Frustrated

Was the second card after you got the denial or before? You don’t make that part clear. 

Well congrats on your approvals! Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed! I can’t figure them out. Other than to stop asking for huge amounts as other people suggest. Apparantley they don’t always counter offer. But I still love them ❤️
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for cli and it went to review. Then applied for second card a moment later and was instant approval.

I didn’t get the denial on the CLI request til about 9 hours after I applied. At that point I applied again and only asked for 3k and was instantly approved.
Message 7 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big time success. Well doneSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied for cli and it went to review. Then applied for second card a moment later and was instant approval.

I didn’t get the denial on the CLI request til about 9 hours after I applied. At that point I applied again and only asked for 3k and was instantly approved.

This makes me wonder if you would have gotten the CLI if you waited for the review but you wanted a new card anyway so it worked out. 

I am collecting data points for my 91/3 that I’m pulling the trigger on as soon as Discover updates my report with a $0 balance (hopefully Monday). I don’t want to leave a lot of money on the table but I don’t want to ask for too much and I don’t want a new card (the cashRewards is by far the best card they have for my usage and especially the fact I can redeem my cashback without earning $50 minimum). Maybe I’ll just go for my ideal limit of 7500 instead of overshooting to 9k like I had planned. 

Thanks for the info! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

From everything I’ve read, second card limits are almost always higher than cli on first card. I maybe should have waited to pull the trigger on second card but my finger is trigger happy. Lol

I do prefer the cash rewards card as well but I know it will grow so I’m not to worried. I was just thrilled with the huge 15k limit and no hard pulls on the CLI requests which is contrary to what everyone else says as they claim you have to wait til odd number months.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.