Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been a long road to Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a long road to Discover

I made the decision 6 months ago to get my credit in order when I decided that I was going to give myself 3-5 years to own a home. My scores at the time were abysmal. I was sitting in the low to mid 500s all the way around.

The first thing I did was get a secured Cap1 card and paid on that faithfully. My credit score immediately rose to 600 within 2-3 billing cycles. That's a big step for me considering that I've never been higher than 550 in my adult life. Last month, I was finally approved for a Credit One card (again, its not much, but I was never able to be approved for much of anything before) and just 2 days ago I was finally approved for a Walmart Card (500 limit), Amazon card (800 limit), Ashley Stewart (250) and Full Beauty (250). To add icing on to the cake, I was finally approved for a DISCOVER IT card with 1000 limit. I'm excited to see what the future holds. I never thought that "Good Credit" would ever be an option for me because no one in my family has "good credit" however I can see myself cracking into the 700s by next year. To everyone else whose in the struggle with me, good luck, be patient and have diligence. If I can do it, so can you. BE BLESSED

What's in my wallet

Major Cards:

Cap1 Secured : 251

Credit One: 300

Discover IT: 1000

Store Cards:

Amazon: 800

Ashley Stewart:250

Full Beauty:250

Walmart:500

Scores as of October 2016: 525EQ/510TU/549EX

Current scores: 626EQ/608TU/630EX

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It's been a long road to Discover

Congratulations to you, loveable! Your Discover approval is definitely "icing on the cake"! Now it's time to enjoy all of your recent successes, and sit in the garden and nurture your crops! Let these newest kids grow naturally, and you'll see your scores improve substantially in the next 6 months or so. Discover is most likely going to grow "big time" for you - give it time though and treat it well.  So happy that you're doing so well credit wise! It's a great feeling watching your scores jump into a territory that they've never been before.  Enjoy them all! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I think I'm done for now. It's time to let these babies nurture for a couple of months. My ultimate goal is to get a Chase Freedom card and possibly refinance my auto loan.

Message 3 of 16
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Try for some increases in that Walmart limit. I started at 400 with them and went to 3200 within 2 months
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

really??? how soon after did you ask for an increase? 

Message 5 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to go on getting your credit house in order!!.it only gets better if you do things responsibly. Walmart will grow nicely but is more attuned to your Tu score so as that rises, you will have greater shot at higher cli . Amazon as well. Best of luck on your journeySmiley Happy
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP Super Congratulations  Since you have Walmart you probably can get Amazon too.  Then both of them are great for quick CLI.  Read this post

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Amazon-Prime-a-Licious-Approved-NEVER-Say-NEVE...

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdxprs1 wrote:
Try for some increases in that Walmart limit. I started at 400 with them and went to 3200 within 2 months

I agree, I opened mine in December 2016, got approved for $700. Just hit the love button yesterday and got approved for $5000! 

I was in the same situation as you last year, and now I can see my credit raising rather quickly and my limits are growing rapidly as well! 

Keep up the credit rebuild ! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job OP! Were your score in your sig's "current" range when you applied for your Amazon card?

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Keep it up!!!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.