Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined NFCU - Approval

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Joined NFCU - Approval

I read doinit1's thread about joining NFCU and getting approved for a card and CLOC. I have wanted to join NFCU for awhile but never knew anyone who could get me in. Today I asked on FB and my attorney of all people is a member. So, she got me in the door but after getting my CC and LOC denials from PenFed for debt /income reasons I have decided not to app for these from NFCU. I only need it for balance transfer reasons and I know the pull is good for awhile but if I ask and get denied then its final. Atleast this way I still have a "chance" of getting approved. For now, I am happy being in with NFCU. 

Edit: I needn't be worried. MOds, please move this to the Approvals forum. Thanks. 

Cash Rewards Approved $3100 SL @ 15.9. This will help with my debt consolidation too. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Joined NFCU - Approval

Congrats my friend! But how did your attorney help get you in. I thought it had to be family member if you didnt use Navy League?
Message 2 of 32
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

My attorney is family. Distant family but family none the less.  

I was going to refinance my truck with them too but their rates are higher than what I have now. Oh well. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 32
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I was under the impression that NFCU only pulled once for like 90 days? Aparantly not. 2 inquiries hit TU today. So glad I stopped when I did. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 4 of 32
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

It has been mentioned many many times - NFCU HP's for EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME!

PenFed HP's are generally good for 90 days

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 32
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

It has been mentioned many many times - NFCU HP's for EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME!

PenFed HP's are generally good for 90 days

Right. I don't doubt they do. I was just so happy to have a sponsor that I overlooked a step I should have taken and that was research. Its the only 2 HP's I have on TU in 12 months so its not a deal breaker. I am more mad at myself. But, I got a good card to balance transfer too and that made it worth it. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 6 of 32
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Just be prepared for a security freeze of your accounts at some point.

This is NFCU's eligibility requirements:

If you have an immediate family member who has joined or one who is eligible to join, you can become a Navy Federal member. Immediate family members include grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members.

You could and should have joined through the Navy League San Diego chapter. At least then they can never come back at you and pull your membership for ineligibility.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

KAKAKABOOM!! Congrats again...way to go.....Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I was under the impression that NFCU only pulled once for like 90 days? Aparantly not. 2 inquiries hit TU today. So glad I stopped when I did. 

Yep...I got 3TU because I thought the same....oh well...Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 32
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@steelers1 wrote:

Just be prepared for a security freeze of your accounts at some point.

This is NFCU's eligibility requirements:

If you have an immediate family member who has joined or one who is eligible to join, you can become a Navy Federal member. Immediate family members include grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members.

You could and should have joined through the Navy League San Diego chapter. At least then they can never come back at you and pull your membership for ineligibility.

I'm not worried about it. I'll call NFCU tomorrow and clarify it with them but I didn't lie on the site so I don't see the issue. But, I don't want any hassle from them in the future so I will give them a chance now to revoke it if they feel the need. 

Updated 1-25-18
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.