Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining the American Express Family!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joining the American Express Family!

Hey guys I need advice on which American Express to start with, and basically I would like to know from anyone with experience with AMEX. Which would yeild me a better chance of approval between the AMEX blue cash or AMEX Hilton Honors?

I am leaning towards the Hilton AMEX due to I will be traveling in 3 weeks and am a Hhonors member with 15k points and I know sign up bonus on this card is an additional 75k points which could cover my 3 nights stay! 

Another reason I would prefer the Amex hilton over the blue cash is because I already have these cashback cards with these CL Captial One Quickslilver with $3,800 a Capital One Quicksilver ONE with $500 a Chase Freedom Unlimited with $3,000 CL and a Discover IT with $500. '

A little history I have 1 collections on my report from 2014 for $2,000 and 5 missed payments but over 3 years ago being the more recent late payment. I have total credit limit of $11,550 and have 0% utilization. I recently also maxed out my quicksilver cap1 $3,800 and paid it off back to $0 in 2 months. Below are my FICO scores. Also my average credit card age is about 4 years due to the Chase and Discover card only being 4 months of age. I also have 11 inquaries in the past 24 months due to an Auto loan Smiley Sad which i did get approved for $24k and I also have a personal loan with a balance of $10k if this matters.

So with all this info which would yeild me a better chance of approval? Thanks guys!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joining the American Express Family!

I also already went to the pre-qual on the amex website and states it coudln't find any offers for me. Also my annual income is $60k

Message 2 of 10
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Do you have a clean Ex file?  That's who AMEX pulls.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian is my lowest fico score at 650 and what do you mean by clean? Its got the 5 lates over 3 years ago and also has my 1 collections account from 2 years ago

Message 4 of 10
Floyduda
New Contributor

I would wait until those new accounts are 6 months old or until you get a pre-approval.....And maybe until your Experian is 670 or higher....

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, and would you say that the amex Hilton Honors is easier to get than the Blue Cash

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 650 is on the lower cusp of Amex approval. If you wait til the new stuff ages a little  scores and limits go up and then Amex approves you for more.   Amex will approve with some old dirt in Exp. My Exp had some medical that the provider forgot to turn into insurance on it  and I was not going to pay both parts. They also botched the surgery and I had to have another one to correct the first . My dirt was over 4 years old   NOW it gone.  I twas my only dirt and only on Exp.  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if the 5 lates on a credit card about 3 years ago will affect me ever since then all of my 9 credit cards have been in good standing. But you guys are right I have 3 cards that are new about 4 months which affected my average age 

Message 8 of 10
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I was approved for the BCE a month ago without a pre-approval.

Can't vouch for the Hilton as I don't travel and know nothing about it.

My EX at the time of approval was around 693.
Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This should probably be posted in credit cards apps forum but my take is dont settle for a card that doesnt suit your needs. Seems you are more keen on the Hilton so shoot for that if itll be more compatible for your needs.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.