cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got approved for Citi Double Cash with a measly $600 limit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got approved for Citi Double Cash with a measly $600 limit!

I was super excited today when I received 2 Citi DC offers in the mail. I applied online and was approved instantly for only a $600 limit! My FICOs are all above 680 and my income is $60,000. I was hoping for something in the $4000-5000 range. Is this card worth gardening? How long does it take to to get CLIs with Citi and how much should I be expecting if I pay off in full every month? Kind of frustrated, not sure if it's worth the hassle...

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Just got approved for Citi Double Cash with a measly $600 limit!

With Citi, you can get a 1-2K SP CLI every six months. Auto denial if you try sooner than six months.

Message 2 of 18
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

With Citi, you can get a 1-2K SP CLI every six months. Auto denial if you try sooner than six months.

From what I understand, typically it's every six months only after your first CLI. Got my first SP CLI at 91 days. For a magical couple of weeks just there, it was SP CLI every six seconds.

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! At least it wasn’t a denial. As other posters have stated, it does have the ability to grow. 

Message 4 of 18
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

RECON IT NOW lol.  Yeah I agree that limit is terrible, no offense.  If it were me I would call the Citi backdoor right away and ask for a recon.  Just understand if they DO agree to do it, I can guarantee it will be another HP.  So if this is card you want to use/keep just take the HP and hope for the best.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok... Citi is stingy.

Knowing that here's what happened with 2 cards I apped for.

I went for the TY Premier, approved for 11K, immediately asked for CLI when I got the card for a HP to 16K, SP @ 6 months to 18K and again 6 months later to 20K SP

2nd one is a DC, approved for 8100, immediate CLI upon receiving to 13K HP, and 6 months later SP to 15K....

I've decideed that the HP isn't really worthwhile with them at this point after seeing results of others doing the same.  They'll grow but at a snail's pace.  The co-brands tend to be a bit more fruitful and if it's got an AF it's even better.  Hence why the TYP grew quicker and started with a slightly higher limti.

Recon with them... I tried a few times the fist time around with the TYP and didn't get anywhere with them at all and didn't bother with the DC and just took the HP at activation.

Message 6 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

With Citicard preapprovals it's almost better if you get one in the mail to compare the terms with the one online (often better rates) and in some cases knowing the preapproval is already assured either way app cold duck straight at them. Either way at low SL they tend to tie a cardholder down for the long drawn out haul.

Obscure-Expert perhaps put it best from their own experience.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any delinquencies or derogatories in your credit profile? What is your current aggregate utilization? Are you currently carrying a balance of > 48.9 percent on any of your cards? There must be a plausible explanation why you received such a low approval.
Message 8 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Citi has a rule that SL is always 1% of income. 

No lol just kidding. Congrats on the card! It will grow! You won’t regret it; I love this card! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval. I love DC and it can grow, my SL was $3700 in 2015 now its at $18000. Even had a few auto increases from Citi before I started requesting them myself.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.