cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got approved for Citi Double Cash with a measly $600 limit!

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: Just got approved for Citi Double Cash with a measly $600 limit!

Congrats @quantumdwayne on the new card! Although it seems petty right now it IS a win. Citi will grow but they are not the 'sprint to the top' kinda bank. Most people get low starting limits compared to their other cards. I got mine back in 2015 with a $1,700 SL when my average limits were bordering $10k. FF a couple years and I got it up to $20k never getting any hard pulls.

They like low inquiries/new accounts when requesting increases so when you decide to hit them up plan for low activity at least the quarter prior. You can grow it. They want long term customers and this is their way of seeing if you'll actually stick around. Some people can't even get the stink eye out of Citi so take it and run with it. Congrats again!

Message 11 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

a small $600 is frustrating, but something in your profile held them back?

it would sting a lot more on a complete denial.

Personally I'd use em, and wait for The CLI's, Congrats!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will say congrats! Other factors might have influenced your SL but getting in with Citi early will pay dividends later.

If it makes you feel better, I have a $0 SL with my Citi DC because Citi doesn’t give me any love. Smiley Wink
Message 13 of 18
slither43
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the new card. Does seem a little strange that they're mailing you offers if they're only willing to give you a $600 CL. Better than a denial though. Hope it grows for you!

Message 14 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

With Citi, you can get a 1-2K SP CLI every six months. Auto denial if you try sooner than six months.

I was able to get a CLI after 60 days on a new account. Every 6 month after that.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was super excited today when I received 2 Citi DC offers in the mail. I applied online and was approved instantly for only a $600 limit! My FICOs are all above 680 and my income is $60,000. I was hoping for something in the $4000-5000 range. Is this card worth gardening? How long does it take to to get CLIs with Citi and how much should I be expecting if I pay off in full every month? Kind of frustrated, not sure if it's worth the hassle...

Just actively use the card and check for a SP CLI at the 60 day mark.  

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 18
slither43
Regular Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

With Citi, you can get a 1-2K SP CLI every six months. Auto denial if you try sooner than six months.

I was able to get a CLI after 60 days on a new account. Every 6 month after that.

I'm almost at the 3 month mark and hoping for that first CLI. Big score jump since last month so fingers crossed!

Message 17 of 18
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.