cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just starting. Several new cards lately, plus was I appr for Saks?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just starting. Several new cards lately, plus was I appr for Saks?

HI all,

I've been reading so much on these forums for the past few days. I am new to rebuilding my credit and am a bit surprised at what I've received in such a short time. 

Currently my credit scores are: 589 fr Trans, and 667 for Equifax. 

I started about six months ago with an offer in mail for a Cap One Platinum with a line of $300. Now increased to $500.

I received an offer in the mail for a Buy Power card thru cap one. I applied online and got an immediate line for $750. I understand through them I ll get an increase soon as long as I pay on time.

At Macy's two weeks ago, clerk asked if I wanted to apply for a Macy's card. I said the usual "I don't think I'll be approved, but hey let's try it, why not".
I was instantly approved for $600.

Online shopping at shoes.com, offered a financing through Klarna (they also do payments for Overstock). Six months at $30 per. I don't know if this will help or not, but I figured I'd just put the balance on my buy power card as I intended to do initially at shoes.com.

Tonight I decided to pull the trigger on a Walmart Credit card as I use them all the time for light grocery shopping and other things.
I immediately receved a iimit for $500.

Which brings me to the Saks Fifth Avenue card. Many moons ago, I had a lot of credit cards when living in Caiifornia. I declared banktuptcy in 2003 and Saks was one of them. Its always been a sore spot losing that one.So I decided to apply last weekend. They just opened up a new Saks here in Honolulu. I noticed Saks cards are now part of Capital One in some capacity, so I thought I may have a chance due to my other cap one cards. I apply online, beyond the normal questions, it asks for qualifying multiple choice/drop down identity questions like "What city did you live in in XXXX" or "What of these cities does (insert name of relative) live in". That question oddly was my fathers 2nd wife and I have no idea where she lives so I guessed at that question. I received the "we need to review your application and will get back to you". So I figured that would be a no. 

Just two nights ago, on Sat Oct 8th, I receive an email from SaksFirst Store Card saying Congrats, you've been approved, card will be coming and you can use your acct now by showing ID at a Saks counter. Wow, I was approved! i think.

But just yesterday, in the mail, dated Monday Oct 3, I receive a form letter of non approval with the usual 'we pulled equifax" and please call this number for more info.

So I have no idea if I am approved or not. I see the form letter of not being approved was sent on Monday, probably the day after I applied, but then I get this email several days later saying I am approved. 

I think after this, I may take a brake from applying for cards. I don't think I'd get the Nordstrom card, and I've heard iffy on the Bloomingdales cards. Along with the Macy's I just would like another store card.

Cap One Plat   $500

Buy Power       $750

Macy's             $600
Klarna?            $180 (not sure if this counts)
Walmart           $500

Saks?

I know it's not a lot, but not too bad for just starting about six months ago.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just starting. Several new cards lately, plus was I appr for Saks?

Welcome to MyFICO and congrats on your approvals and credit progress.  You're making the right decision to take a break from applying for more credit for awhile.  Manage what you have for about and then your scores will go higher and so will your starting limits

Message 2 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the progress you have made this far.  Enjoy your new cards.  I would wait atleast six months or so before apping for anything else.  You don't want to look desperate for credit in lenders eyes.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats OP , but why all the store cards? Try to only get the ones you really can make good use of , you don't want to get stuck in toy limit hell .
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

HI all,

I've been reading so much on these forums for the past few days. I am new to rebuilding my credit and am a bit surprised at what I've received in such a short time. 

Currently my credit scores are: 589 fr Trans, and 667 for Equifax. 

I started about six months ago with an offer in mail for a Cap One Platinum with a line of $300. Now increased to $500.

I received an offer in the mail for a Buy Power card thru cap one. I applied online and got an immediate line for $750. I understand through them I ll get an increase soon as long as I pay on time.

At Macy's two weeks ago, clerk asked if I wanted to apply for a Macy's card. I said the usual "I don't think I'll be approved, but hey let's try it, why not".
I was instantly approved for $600.

Online shopping at shoes.com, offered a financing through Klarna (they also do payments for Overstock). Six months at $30 per. I don't know if this will help or not, but I figured I'd just put the balance on my buy power card as I intended to do initially at shoes.com.

Tonight I decided to pull the trigger on a Walmart Credit card as I use them all the time for light grocery shopping and other things.
I immediately receved a iimit for $500.

Which brings me to the Saks Fifth Avenue card. Many moons ago, I had a lot of credit cards when living in Caiifornia. I declared banktuptcy in 2003 and Saks was one of them. Its always been a sore spot losing that one.So I decided to apply last weekend. They just opened up a new Saks here in Honolulu. I noticed Saks cards are now part of Capital One in some capacity, so I thought I may have a chance due to my other cap one cards. I apply online, beyond the normal questions, it asks for qualifying multiple choice/drop down identity questions like "What city did you live in in XXXX" or "What of these cities does (insert name of relative) live in". That question oddly was my fathers 2nd wife and I have no idea where she lives so I guessed at that question. I received the "we need to review your application and will get back to you". So I figured that would be a no. 

Just two nights ago, on Sat Oct 8th, I receive an email from SaksFirst Store Card saying Congrats, you've been approved, card will be coming and you can use your acct now by showing ID at a Saks counter. Wow, I was approved! i think.

But just yesterday, in the mail, dated Monday Oct 3, I receive a form letter of non approval with the usual 'we pulled equifax" and please call this number for more info.

So I have no idea if I am approved or not. I see the form letter of not being approved was sent on Monday, probably the day after I applied, but then I get this email several days later saying I am approved. 

I think after this, I may take a brake from applying for cards. I don't think I'd get the Nordstrom card, and I've heard iffy on the Bloomingdales cards. Along with the Macy's I just would like another store card.

Cap One Plat   $500

Buy Power       $750

Macy's             $600
Klarna?            $180 (not sure if this counts)
Walmart           $500

Saks?

I know it's not a lot, but not too bad for just starting about six months ago.

As stated earlier congratulations on the approvals and new cards. As for the new Saks is that the one they built on the site of the International Market? I spent many a night at Coconut Willy's there, God I miss that place.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear about your new SL. Enjoy it and use it wisely.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.