cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learned what a good credit app spree is like....

tag
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Learned what a good credit app spree is like....

Figured I would share my experience last night applying for 4 cards with my girlfriend we decided to apply for more than needed to help her utilization. The main purpose was to get 0% Intro APR offers to initially charge some home renovations to and pay off over the period.

The cards chosen were as follows and their order were:

1. Citi Simplicity

2. BankAmericard Cash Rewards

3. Discover IT

4. US Bank Visa Platinum

All 4 were instant approvals except the Discover required a quick phone call to verify some information.

They were all approved at the lowest APR offered for each product.

Initial Credit Lines granted were:

13,000.00 Citi Simplicity

13,000.00 BankAmericard

14,500.00 Discover IT

17,000.00 US Bank Visa Platinum

For a total of $57,500.00 in new revolving credit in all of about an hour after I helped her research. We opted against the AMEX Blue Rewards as the stores for the Grocery & Department Store rewards weren't stores we frequented regularly. 

So how do you think she did? On any of these cards once the Intro APR period expires are there any cards you'd suggest to PC to? As I feel the Citi Simplicity and US Bank Visa Platinum quickly become useless once the 0% APR is gone.

Needless to say this experience was fun and made me realize what a vital tool building and maintaining good credit is and I plan to eventually be in a similar situation as her.

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Learned what a good credit app spree is like....

Awesome!! Congrats x4!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 17
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Ragelog wrote:

Figured I would share my experience last night applying for 4 cards with my girlfriend we decided to apply for more than needed to help her utilization. The main purpose was to get 0% Intro APR offers to initially charge some home renovations to and pay off over the period.

1. Citi Simplicity

3. Discover IT

4. US Bank Visa Platinum

All 4 were instant approvals except the Discover required a quick phone call to verify some information.

13,000.00 BankAmericard

14,500.00 Discover IT

For a total of $57,500.00 in new revolving credit in all of about an hour after I helped her research. We opted against the AMEX Blue Rewards as the stores for the Grocery & Department Store rewards weren't stores we frequented regularly. 

So how do you think she did? On any of these cards once the Intro APR period expires are there any cards you'd suggest to PC to? As I feel the Citi Simplicity and US Bank Visa Platinum quickly become useless once the 0% APR is gone.

Needless to say this experience was fun and made me realize what a vital tool building and maintaining good credit is and I plan to eventually be in a similar situation as her.

Congrats on your success Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 17
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats!!!!

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I guess I don't understand what you want these cards for? you say 0% but what do you need 4 0% at the same time? Are you using any of them for Balance Transfer?

Message 6 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Fantastic start limits and nice set of cards, grats Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@Ragelog wrote:

1. Citi Simplicity

3. Discover IT

4. US Bank Visa Platinum

13,000.00 BankAmericard

14,500.00 Discover IT

Was it you applying or your girlfriend applying? I see your score of 658 TU Fico (Walmart)..... can't be right instant approval with lowest apr and high CL...... Am I missing something?

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 8 of 17
TheFate
Established Contributor

Not sure why you app'd for cards you don't think you'd have any use for after the promo ends.

The US Bank Cash card is a great CC to have. Many catagories to choose from with 5% back

But congrats for your GF.. those are great CL's.. What was her score like if you dont mind me asking?

Message 9 of 17
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Nice job on the US Bank Platinum. My first Cash+ card was once a Platinum.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.