cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life 7 years after BK7 - AMEX, Chase, more..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life 7 years after BK7 - AMEX, Chase, more..

I’ve gained a lot of knowledge here recently, hoping this helps someone, especially those who get a late start rebuilding as I did.

Began credit history in 1996, excellent credit over the years until BofA nightmare short sale and subsequent BK7 5/2010. I was quite fed up with banks and went cash only until 2012 when a lender friend told us we’d better start getting back in the credit game if we ever wanted to own a home again with reasonable rates. The only active accounts showing post BK were 2 student loans totaling 7k.

11/2012 Capital One Secured - $300 - used twice for $50

3/2013 Capital One Journey -$3000 - used occasionally, sometimes only every couple months, PIF

?/2014 Capital One Journey auto cli to $6k - Using fairly regularly now, PIF.

1/2015 - Mortgage approved

2/2015 Barclaycard - $1500 - used once in 2015

2/2015 Lowe’s - $1500 - Used once to buy new dishwasher at 0% promo rate, paid in 4 mo.

?/2015 Capital One Journey auto upgrade letter, upgrade to QS. Still using regularly ($500 max per mo) and PIF.

?/2016 Capital One auto cli to $8.5k 

2016 - refi to 15 year. FICO hovering around 700.

4/2018 I decide to go on a little CLI and app spree after looking at the boards here, encouraged to see if I could qualify for some better cards. Started with a Cap One cli to $10.5k.  Lowe’s cli to $6.5k. Really wanted to back in with Amex, did not iib them, and had been with them since 96. My wife has an Amex Everyday that she became the primary on when they closed my card in BK, shows 1996 on all CBs. Sigh. I’d never even bothered to try to be an AU on it, never thought about it. 4/19 we add me as AU, approved.

4/21 I get an Amex pre qual on their site and work up the nerve to app the Amex everyday myself... Approved for $10k! Nice welcome back to Amex email. Smiley Happy

4/22 Decided to have a go at the BCE... Approved! $13.5k!

4/22 Wife has had Chase Freedom since 2007, I’ve been an AU since then. Chase Freedom app... Decline.  Recon 1- Hard no due to BK, no recon. Recon 2 - Nicer agent, tried for about 15min, still decline due to BK and a second HP. 

4/22 US Bank Cash +.  7-10 day message, SSN not in system when calling automated status line.

4/23 Call US Bank status line, no decision yet.

4/23 Really wanted my CU’s card (Golden 1 CU) but had an auto loan that was reaffirmed in BK, paid in full. Worried they would hold a grudge on that, so called in to check. No problem with loan since it was paid off 4 years ago, so invited me to app for their card. Approved! $10k.

4/23 Call US Bank automated line, Approved! SL unknown.

Really happy with my new cards, feeling like I finally moved past my BK. Looks like there is hope for good cards before BK is off record. I probably could have done it much sooner had I been more diligent in following the advice here, but still happy. Thanks to all those who have provided so much knowledge here.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Life 7 years after BK7 - AMEX, Chase, more..

@Anonymous wrote:

I’ve gained a lot of knowledge here recently, hoping this helps someone, especially those who get a late start rebuilding as I did.

Began credit history in 1996, excellent credit over the years until BofA nightmare short sale and subsequent BK7 5/2010. I was quite fed up with banks and went cash only until 2012 when a lender friend told us we’d better start getting back in the credit game if we ever wanted to own a home again with reasonable rates. The only active accounts showing post BK were 2 student loans totaling 7k.

11/2012 Capital One Secured - $300 - used twice for $50

3/2013 Capital One Journey -$3000 - used occasionally, sometimes only every couple months, PIF

?/2014 Capital One Journey auto cli to $6k - Using fairly regularly now, PIF.

1/2015 - Mortgage approved

2/2015 Barclaycard - $1500 - used once in 2015

2/2015 Lowe’s - $1500 - Used once to buy new dishwasher at 0% promo rate, paid in 4 mo.

?/2015 Capital One Journey auto upgrade letter, upgrade to QS. Still using regularly ($500 max per mo) and PIF.

?/2016 Capital One auto cli to $8.5k 

2016 - refi to 15 year. FICO hovering around 700.

4/2018 I decide to go on a little CLI and app spree after looking at the boards here, encouraged to see if I could qualify for some better cards. Started with a Cap One cli to $10.5k.  Lowe’s cli to $6.5k. Really wanted to back in with Amex, did not iib them, and had been with them since 96. My wife has an Amex Everyday that she became the primary on when they closed my card in BK, shows 1996 on all CBs. Sigh. I’d never even bothered to try to be an AU on it, never thought about it. 4/19 we add me as AU, approved.

4/21 I get an Amex pre qual on their site and work up the nerve to app the Amex everyday myself... Approved for $10k! Nice welcome back to Amex email. Smiley Happy

4/22 Decided to have a go at the BCE... Approved! $13.5k!

4/22 Wife has had Chase Freedom since 2007, I’ve been an AU since then. Chase Freedom app... Decline.  Recon 1- Hard no due to BK, no recon. Recon 2 - Nicer agent, tried for about 15min, still decline due to BK and a second HP. 

4/22 US Bank Cash +.  7-10 day message, SSN not in system when calling automated status line.

4/23 Call US Bank status line, no decision yet.

4/23 Really wanted my CU’s card (Golden 1 CU) but had an auto loan that was reaffirmed in BK, paid in full. Worried they would hold a grudge on that, so called in to check. No problem with loan since it was paid off 4 years ago, so invited me to app for their card. Approved! $10k.

4/23 Call US Bank automated line, Approved! SL unknown.

Really happy with my new cards, feeling like I finally moved past my BK. Looks like there is hope for good cards before BK is off record. I probably could have done it much sooner had I been more diligent in following the advice here, but still happy. Thanks to all those who have provided so much knowledge here.

Congrats on all Approval and nice SL  . time to garden those babies

Message 2 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well done!!! Thats a great rebuild, and much congrats to you on all your success!

Chase has since changed their ways again on approving BK's. As of now/late, they won't approve if BK still shows on reports. (claim they can't override the computers auto decline).

I would call in again to BD/UW, and try again. Tell them your willing to start at a low limit (lowest limit to be approved) to prove yourself again, and build history.

I was lucky and apped for the Amazon Visa a little over a year ago and approved on a 3rd recon for $3k, and they were IIB in 2013. Its worth a shot at least. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the congrats. As was suggested, I am in the garden now. Update: the US Bank Cash+ approval came in at $8.5k. No prior relationship personally, but parents had a land loan and currently have a mortgage with them, maybe they count that as relationship by last name and shared addresses from many years ago? TU score was 737 on the letter that came with the card.

Pizza, you were really lucky to get in, congrats! I just don’t want to risk another HP, perhaps I’ll try again in a year.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.