Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX? Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX? Update: Approved

So I went ahead and asked for a CLI to 12k but I was only approved for 8k. Still kind of disappointed but doubling up isn't too bad. Guess AMEX doesn't like me very much....

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I went ahead and asked for a CLI to 12k but I was only approved for 8k. Still kind of disappointed but doubling up isn't too bad. Guess AMEX doesn't like me very much....

2X CLI was offered based on either/or Utilization or reported income. Well done and congratulations.

Message 2 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Way to go. When you are like me and request a 3x and only receive a 1.7k increase then shout at the Amex gods lol. Seriously, 8k is very nice and next up can be 24k in 181 daysSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Way to go. When you are like me and request a 3x and only receive a 1.7k increase then shout at the Amex gods lol. Seriously, 8k is very nice and next up can be 24k in 181 daysSmiley Happy

COULD be.   Or they could give less.   My last CLI attempt was unsuccesful as my usage didn't justify an increase. So that can happen too!

Message 4 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Why do you want to grow a Blue Cash Everyday card?  It's primary use is for 3% cash back on groceries, and that's capped at $6,000 a year.  A credit limit above $6,000 (which would keep utilization below 10% at $500 spend per month) seems pointless.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Why do you want to grow a Blue Cash Everyday card?  It's primary use is for 3% cash back on groceries, and that's capped at $6,000 a year.  A credit limit above $6,000 (which would keep utilization below 10% at $500 spend per month) seems pointless.

At the time I got my BCE, my other credit limits were fairly moderate and charges could easily be crowded out. AMEX started me with my highest limit, and I increased it a bit afterwards. My limits are now almost where I want them on these particular cards. But still, with my current collection of cards, the AMEX gets some substantial charges from time to time.

There's also the extended warranty protection benefit. There are people here who take a lesser reward in order to get that. When I made a phone purchase from Vizio, the sales guy was quick to point out that using AMEX was a good move because of the extra year. That hadn't even crossed my mind. I used AMEX because my MasterCard transaction had trouble going through.

Message 6 of 16
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Because if a person decides to get another American Express card that fits their lifestyle a little better but is approved with a lower than expected limit, they can shift credit limits around. That's exactly what I plan to do if I get my 3X CLI on my Hilton card is to shift 10k to my BCE because it still has 7 months of 0% left. 

Message 7 of 16
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

Re: Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX? Update: Approved

This reminds me of my first AMEX card back in 2014. They approved me for $2500 and I had other credits cards with $20,000+ limits. so I expected a higher limit. That said within the first few months they doubled my limit and now, 4 years later the limit is $25,000 without ever requesting an increase.

I product changed last month (BCP to a no fee CASH card). While on the phone, they offered me an additional card (Platnium with the a similar credit line) - which I declined.

My advice... keep your overall ulitization low and put your AMEX into heavy rotation/use and it'll surely increase.

@Anonymous wrote:

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Can only speak for myself.  I plan on transferring another 8k CL from my Everyday to BCE after 30 days. (I just transferred 5k from Delta.)  I do only use it for groceries, BUT the 0% APR for 15 months allows it to also be my "emergency expense" card.  I have enough MR points for my next trip already saved, so will be retiring Everyday except for occasional Amex reward opportunities should they come up.  After using my MR stash I will likely switch back to Everyday to earn MR points again for my next trip.

Message 9 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I will never max a cc in rewards for any quarter as i dont spend enough but doesnt mean someone should cap their credit limit due to how much max rewards are possible. Limits with Amex can be moved around or if you need to put a charge on it regardless of rewards a higher limit helps. Some may never understsnd ones need for higher limits but thats why we must do what works for ourselves and not someone else.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.