cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX? Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX?

Congrats on your CLI!! And here's to hoping it continues to grow for you.

Message 11 of 16
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Likelihood of CLI with rarely used AMEX? Update: Approved

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 12 of 16
rbentley
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I will never max a cc in rewards for any quarter as i dont spend enough but doesnt mean somExeone should cap their credit limit due to how much max rewards are possible. Limits with Amex can be moved around or if you need to put a charge on it regardless of rewards a higher limit helps. Some may never understsnd ones need for higher limits but thats why we must do what works for ourselves and not someone else.

Excellent points AJC.  I completely agree with you, but then I always do.  When I first came on this forum I was a quite shocked that someone could have 20-100+ cards.  I couldn't see how that could happen or how you could even manage 10.  I have come to realize that while that is not for me I can understand how it occured for others.  I do think there is a subtle group pressure on here to "growing" cards and requesting CLI's.  We break out the champaign when someone gets a nice one.  Everyone is here to improve their credit and many of us have been stung for long periods with denials.  It is great to feel valued and rewarded by approvals and CLI's.

Message 13 of 16
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I went ahead and asked for a CLI to 12k but I was only approved for 8k. Still kind of disappointed but doubling up isn't too bad. Guess AMEX doesn't like me very much....

If you use your card more they'll be more than generous to you. If you look at it from their point of view you don't use the card so why would the extend more credit to someone not using what they already have? It's not that they don't like you....your spending habits with them don't require a further extention of credit.

Message 14 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I'll never understand why people get disappointed about something like "only $8k". When's the last time someone walked up to you and said, "I know we're not really friends, but if you ever need $8000, let me know, I got you."

Message 15 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@rbentley wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I will never max a cc in rewards for any quarter as i dont spend enough but doesnt mean somExeone should cap their credit limit due to how much max rewards are possible. Limits with Amex can be moved around or if you need to put a charge on it regardless of rewards a higher limit helps. Some may never understsnd ones need for higher limits but thats why we must do what works for ourselves and not someone else.

Excellent points AJC.  I completely agree with you, but then I always do.  When I first came on this forum I was a quite shocked that someone could have 20-100+ cards.  I couldn't see how that could happen or how you could even manage 10.  I have come to realize that while that is not for me I can understand how it occured for others.  I do think there is a subtle group pressure on here to "growing" cards and requesting CLI's.  We break out the champaign when someone gets a nice one.  Everyone is here to improve their credit and many of us have been stung for long periods with denials.  It is great to feel valued and rewarded by approvals and CLI's.

I agree. The "culture" here is all about maximizing and more is better. While the knowledge is extremely helpful, I think it can be counterproductive for rebuilders. Rather than letting what they have grow and taking care of what's holding their credit back, they're being told to request 3x in 61 days, or apply in 3/91. Unfortunately those rules don't apply to everyone, or they get something not in line with everyone else, and some people set themselves further back with HPs and lowering their AAoA. I've definitely fallen for the hype and it's probably set my rebuild back by about 6 months.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.