cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local CU calling to offer a credit card out of the blue?

tag
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Local CU calling to offer a credit card out of the blue?

DW told me yesterday that the local CU we both bank with just called her out of the blue to offer her a credit card.  I've been banking there about 9 years and I convinced her to switch from US Bank over to the CU about 6-ish years ago.  She got the call from the rep at the CU, said they wanted to offer her one of their better cards with $0 AF, 3.25% APR on purchases for the next 6 months, and $0 balance transfer fee, no HP credit check, all with a CL of $7K.  I was blown away by that, I've never heard of a bank calling out of the blue to offer a customer/member a card like that.  And just a few minutes after getting off the phone with them, the new credit card line was showing up in her mobile banking app.

Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced this before?  The CU in question is Canvas CU here in Colorado.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: Local CU calling to offer a credit card out of the blue?

That is a CU for you...  a good one anyway.  Congrats!

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 2 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Glad it worked out OK but that would seem a bit sus if it happened to me.  I would make sure I could call them back and ask about the offer rather than submit my info to someone calling me out of the blue.

Message 3 of 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

And just a few minutes after getting off the phone with them, the new credit card line was showing up in her mobile banking app.

Talk about instant approval...cool!  Congrats to dw, maybe your offer is in the near future too.  The only offer I've received, also via phone call, is an auto loan.  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

K but that would seem a bit sus if it happened to me.  I would make sure I could call them back and ask about

Message 5 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It is rather unusal but probably more common at smaller / local CUs.   It sounds like a decent offer and it's great that it didn't cost you anything other than having a new account hit your reports.  Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on the Canvas CU approval!

Message 7 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on her approval Smiley Happy

A little unorthodox as to the way it was done, I would insist on calling the CU back if I were to get such a call.

Message 8 of 17
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Wow that was great!

Very unusual indeed, but welcomed.

Wish  my 2 CUs would do that (SP)...

Message 9 of 17
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

Well, I'd be happy with any call at all to be honest with you - even if they said "Hello - HP now come and apply!".    But seriously, that's an awesome experience makes it almost feel very human again and not like the "others". 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.