Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loving "the AMEX" right now!

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: Loving "the AMEX" right now!

sorry gettnthere I type the way I talk, rambling......LOL  You MUST be a school teacher!!  LMAO

Message 11 of 31
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Now that is an AWESOME limit!!  Big CONGRATS to you!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 31
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

In their defence, Barclays has extended you 17 thousand dollars in credit, so they aren't far behind.

Message 13 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:Moral of the story - screw Barclay Long Live AMEX!!  LOL

Nice approval on your Amex.  $20K to great staring CL!

Regarding "screw" Barclay, like all issuers, there are pros and cons.  Barclay has great sign-up bonuses, but nothing "best in class" for ongoing use, except for the 2% Priceline and old US Airways, which is no longer offered.  Their NFL $400 bonus for spending $1,000, and being able to apply the bonus fully before paying the bill was the best cash offer I've seen yet.  

And, recently, they've tightened their credit underwriting considerably, especially for sign-up bonused based cards.  I've seen many with flawless credit (800+ with high income & assets) declined solely because their existing Barclay card has been unused for several months.

Message 14 of 31
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

navigatethis12  True I have about 17K with the Barclay but AMEX is now at $34K plus the Platinum NPSL, so Barclay really isnt that close.

I dont really have a complaint about Barclay as a whole mainly the snotty rep. and condesending nature of his answers. It is my fault for even calling, should have just took the "NO" and moved to a better (more understanding??) company like AMEX in the first place.

To me the CL's are kinda like a useless "badge", I pay all in full every month anyway so apr's and CL are kinda useless to me in the larger scheme of things, probably the wrong way to think but after about 40 years plus of paying CC and NO defaults EVER, I still think I know what I am doing...LOL

Message 15 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:Moral of the story - screw Barclay Long Live AMEX!!  LOL

Nice approval on your Amex.  $20K to great staring CL!

Regarding "screw" Barclay, like all issuers, there are pros and cons.  Barclay has great sign-up bonuses, but nothing "best in class" for ongoing use, except for the 2% Priceline and old US Airways, which is no longer offered.  Their NFL $400 bonus for spending $1,000, and being able to apply the bonus fully before paying the bill was the best cash offer I've seen yet.  

And, recently, they've tightened their credit underwriting considerably, especially for sign-up bonused based cards.  I've seen many with flawless credit (800+ with high income & assets) declined solely because their existing Barclay card has been unused for several months.

Isn't the Arrival the most powerful rewards earning card for high spenders at the moment? Smiley Happy  AFAIK, they are still offering the US Airways card, and they also offer the rewards card for Lufthansa. Granted, sign-up bonus is really the most lucrative feature of their credit card portfolio, but that alone is worth many years' worth of rewards from most other credit cards on the market. Their only major cons is their sensitivity to new accounts and inquiries and inflexibility with recon.

Message 16 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

I dont really have a complaint about Barclay as a whole mainly the snotty rep. and condesending nature of his answers. It is my fault for even calling, should have just took the "NO" and moved to a better (more understanding??) company like AMEX in the first place.

Agreed.  

Sometimes, I find Barclay's holier than thou attitude annoying.  I suspect I'll purge them soon enough, depending on how they handle Citi's takeover of the new AA/US program.

Message 17 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Isn't the Arrival the most powerful rewards earning card for high spenders at the moment? Smiley Happy  

It's certainly a viable option to use abroad where there's forex fees, but domestically, the Fid Amex 2% is better, since the points aren't limited by travel redemptions. For me, I'd take 1 spg point over 2 pts of travel credit everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

For those with the CSP, there's absolutey ZERO reason to use the Arrival, other than non-bonus category spend, I suppose.  Then, for many, 1 UR point is worth more than 2 points of travel credits.  

I think this card is good for those who fit the following:  (1) predominantly international non travel/restaurant spending; (2) derive little or now value from UR points; (3) care nothing about travel programs, and want only statement credits for those purchases Barclay tags as "travel" related.

For a narrow range, it is indeed a powerful card with the 10% bonus and 40K sign-up.  I have the card, but doubt I'd use it beyond the sign up bonus. There just isn't any compelling reason to with better options.  

Message 18 of 31
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

HiLine wrote:

Isn't the Arrival the most powerful rewards earning card for high spenders at the moment? :smileyhappy: 

sorry not the best at "cut and paste" here yet, this is still new to me....in regards to Arrival vs. BSP the Amex actually takes less to redeem so the points would seem to go further 7500 = $100 credit and with 2x on dining not hideous. Arrival does give a point rebate back to you, now I am no mathematician by any means but thinking they are not too far off of each other rewards wise...I know someone here has done serious homework and can prove me right or wrong on that!! LOL Thanks for all the comments, this is how I learn about all this stuff!

Message 19 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Isn't the Arrival the most powerful rewards earning card for high spenders at the moment? Smiley Happy  

It's certainly a viable option to use abroad where there's forex fees, but domestically, the Fid Amex 2% is better, since the points aren't limited by travel redemptions. For me, I'd take 1 spg point over 2 pts of travel credit everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

For those with the CSP, there's absolutey ZERO reason to use the Arrival, other than non-bonus category spend, I suppose.  Then, for many, 1 UR point is worth more than 2 points of travel credits.  

I think this card is good for those who fit the following:  (1) predominantly international non travel/restaurant spending; (2) derive little or now value from UR points; (3) care nothing about travel programs, and want only statement credits for those purchases Barclay tags as "travel" related.

For a narrow range, it is indeed a powerful card with the 10% bonus and 40K sign-up.  I have the card, but doubt I'd use it beyond the sign up bonus. There just isn't any compelling reason to with better options.  

With the 10% rebate, the card practically earns 2.2%. UR points can be worth more than 2 cents per point but you have to use the points the right way. An amazingly large population is still redeeming UR points directly for travel since they do not know how to take advantage of the partner loyalty programs. For this population the Arrival is a much more profitable card, and I have a feel that the majority of CSP owners belong to this population.

The travel redemption options for the Arrival are flexible enough that the points are about as good as cashback, and you don't have to have a Fidelity account to be able to redeem the points at the maximum value. Opening a Fidelity account just in order to benefit from the credit card may not be worth it, but is exactly what Fidelity is hoping consumers to do.

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.