Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MASSIVE NFCU SL FOR COLLEGE STUDENT LOW CREDIT SCORE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MASSIVE NFCU SL FOR COLLEGE STUDENT LOW CREDIT SCORE

Yes, I was unaware of the law. The advisor from NFCU made it sound like as long as I was 21+ and able to verify that I do share bills/a household with other earners that it would be alright to put the overall income. I apologize to anyone who may have thought I was attempting to "game the system". I finish my BA next year and have been already involved in setting up my placement into the Master's program. 

I would under no circumstances even probably use 1K of my 10K let alone max it. Just figured NFCU was a good starting point for a credit union relationship, was initally expecting a denial or a SL around $500. 

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't understand this law, I apologize if it appears I was attempting anything shady. It wasn't fully comprehensive in my conversation with the NFCU advisor of the ins and outs of this law, only that as long as I could prove household income if necessary that I would in fact be able to disclose household vs individual as a result of my age + living situation. 

Message 12 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats... Just be careful with such a big limit and modest income of your own as I doubt your parents would bail you out of charging 10k as you used household income as you mentioned.

College or shortly after college is where most people rack up their CC debt and then get themselves in big trouble and either have CO's or a BK, so please be careful.  

Congrats on the approval none-the-less.

I am a prime example of screwing around in college and after and then having CO's galore and paying well beyond 7 years after graduating to make things right with my creditors.  It cost me 10 of thousands in interest due to higher APRS for cars, houses, etc...

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Congrats... Just be careful with such a big limit and modest income of your own as I doubt your parents would bail you out of charging 10k as you used household income as you mentioned.

College or shortly after college is where most people rack up their CC debt and then get themselves in big trouble and either have CO's or a BK, so please be careful.  

I am a prime example of screwing around in college and after and then having CO's galore and paying well beyond 7 years after graduating to make things right with my creditors.  It cost me 10 of thousands in interest due to higher APRS for cars, houses, etc...

very true

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No no not at all. I had just been told via one of the account advisors at NFCU that it is best to use the gross household income as some apps go by household income and some go by individual income. I do not intend to utilize anywhere near 10K, I only wanted to build a relationship with NFCU from a young age. I'm aiming for a mortgage in the next 10-20 years and wanted to get a foot in the door with this credit union. I pay all of my own CC bills, as well as for my own cell phone, car, insurance(s) etc. 

Good for you!!! Congrats! that is an awesome CL.

Message 15 of 18
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to offend you.

I am curious if your parents income will pay your bills? I have a second year college student and I help her out alot but she would not be using my income for credit applicationsSmiley Sad

+1 

Exactly my thoughts! As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, joint household income is income that you have regular access to, not what everyone in the house makes combined. 

This is so close to the same thing that I'd hate to live on the difference. College kids for the most parts are still a part of their parents households. They are still on their parents' health insurance and if the kid's income is modest can go on their parents' tax return for earned income credit purposes. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 16 of 18
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations, OP! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

+10000 totally agreed. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.