Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSGCU Rewards Visa Approval

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: MSGCU Rewards Visa Approval

@5KRunner wrote:

My oldest son was recently approved for SSI benefits, so I paid a visit to our local credit union (Michigan Schools & Gov't CU) to set up an account for him. While there, I asked about their requirements for credit card approvals. The branch manager pulled up my account and said that I was eligible for instant approval (that is, without having to consult with an underwriter). I was approved for their 1% rewards Visa with an SL of $10K and their lowest APR (currently 9.25%). They pulled Experian and reported a score of 740, which must be something other than FICO 8 (Experian refreshed my report today and they report a FICO 8 of 778). Perhaps they pulled one of the mortgage scores instead?

According to the branch manager, they routinely offer 5% bonus rewards in categories that change each month (which makes it similar to the Langley cash back card). But I can't log into the rewards site until tomorrow to register for whatever they're currently offering.

It's a pretty lackluster card overall, but I'm only planning to use it for my son's recurring expenses, which will make it easier to generate a spending report if SSA ever decides to look into how I'm spending his benefits.

Anyways, here are the DPs: annual income $134K, DTI is roughly 20%, 23 INQs in the last 24 months (I knew it was a lot, but, like, whoa), util is just below 2%, and total CLs across all accounts now stands at $176,250.

NiceSmiley Happy ill take a 10k 1% sub 10% apr card anyday. I thought this was Madison Square Garden Credit UnionSmiley Wink

Message 11 of 25
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

NiceSmiley Happy ill take a 10k 1% sub 10% apr card anyday. I thought this was Madison Square Garden Credit UnionSmiley Wink

Nah. I'm far, far away from that MSG! 😉

Message 12 of 25
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 13 of 25
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your MSGCU approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 14 of 25
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 15 of 25
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@5KRunner wrote:

My oldest son was recently approved for SSI benefits, so I paid a visit to our local credit union (Michigan Schools & Gov't CU) to set up an account for him. While there, I asked about their requirements for credit card approvals. The branch manager pulled up my account and said that I was eligible for instant approval (that is, without having to consult with an underwriter). I was approved for their 1% rewards Visa with an SL of $10K and their lowest APR (currently 9.25%). They pulled Experian and reported a score of 740, which must be something other than FICO 8 (Experian refreshed my report today and they report a FICO 8 of 778). Perhaps they pulled one of the mortgage scores instead?

According to the branch manager, they routinely offer 5% bonus rewards in categories that change each month (which makes it similar to the Langley cash back card). But I can't log into the rewards site until tomorrow to register for whatever they're currently offering.

It's a pretty lackluster card overall, but I'm only planning to use it for my son's recurring expenses, which will make it easier to generate a spending report if SSA ever decides to look into how I'm spending his benefits.

Anyways, here are the DPs: annual income $134K, DTI is roughly 20%, 23 INQs in the last 24 months (I knew it was a lot, but, like, whoa), util is just below 2%, and total CLs across all accounts now stands at $176,250.

How interesting to find another person that lives in Michigan and is near an MSGCU branch.

MSGCU uses Ex FICO 3 which is more sensitive about everything including ULT and HPs. As for the rewards, I am close to getting that card, but I think the monthly 5% rewards maybe a mistake. If they do such a thing, it would have been listed on the Rewards Card page. To the website, the only thing extra is the extra 5,000 points meeting the requirements.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 16 of 25
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on approval 🦇🦇🦇🥊💥🥊💥🥊💥✅✅✅
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 25
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

@ZackAttack wrote:

How interesting to find another person that lives in Michigan and is near an MSGCU branch.

MSGCU uses Ex FICO 3 which is more sensitive about everything including ULT and HPs. As for the rewards, I am close to getting that card, but I think the monthly 5% rewards maybe a mistake. If they do such a thing, it would have been listed on the Rewards Card page. To the website, the only thing extra is the extra 5,000 points meeting the requirements.

I thought the same thing... why wouldn't you promote such a benefit?

Message 18 of 25
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Update for @ZackAttack - I figured out how to access those extra bonus points: while logged into online account management, click on the VISA Rewards link (I suspect that's only active once you've been approved for the card). Then click on the "Open in a new tab" button to get a full-screen view. From there, scroll down toward the bottom and click on Scoremore. It's based on specific retailers rather than categories, so it operates similarly to offers I've seen on my Wells Fargo and PNC cards.

Here's a sample list of active in-store bonuses (and there's another section with offers that require activation, and yet another for online-only offers):

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Message 19 of 25
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Here's another tidbit for those who may be eligible for membership: they instantly issue cards in-branch if you're approved. I walked out with my debit card and credit card, as well as my son's debit card. Very nice!

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.