Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's and Discover CLI (x2)

tag
Mones
Frequent Contributor

Macy's and Discover CLI (x2)

I forgot to post when I got my first CLI on my Discover IT Student on December 13th, 2022 (7th statement). DP for that was I let the statement report with 0 balance. Previous statement before that around 68% utilization. In App CLI gave me a $750 cli to $1,250. Over the phone didn't do anything for double dip. 

December 30th: Macy's soft pull from 6k to 11k. See old thread. Spent a little bit for the Holiday Season (<$150). I guess I should push for around 20k+ next time to be the last or second to last CLI on this account given the recommendations of many other people. (I don't know what the limits for growing Macy's card through CLIs is on a limited income). Trick with this card seems to be to wait to request a CLI till after the Payment due date (around 24th to 25th). 

January 13th: Discover $500 Soft pull CLI from $1250 to $1750. It was pretty small and double dip over the phone didn't seem to work. Trick with this card seems to be to wait for the previous statement to post in the app and then I can apply and get approved over the phone. This statement cut with over 80% utilization and yes, I've been putting high usage on this card and letting it cut with hopes of future CLIs. This month and next month it probably won't see a lot of spend so we will see how that affects growth but Discover seems to have openned the gates at a 30 day interval which I'm really happy about. Smiley Happy)))

Does anyone have any recommendations for Discover CLI? I'm thinking to just call in after the next statement cuts instead of doing an online CLI and see if that changes anything in terms of the amount of the CLI

Current Cards (in order of approval)

Closed Cards

Current FICO 8 Scores:
Inquires (6/12/24):
Account Age metrics:
Updated Mar 12th, 2024
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's and Discover CLI (x2)

congrats on the 2 cli increases

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200 CL /

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 2 of 9
nbnsraz

Pretty nice bump from the Macy's card there! 

For Discover, I think from what I've read and experienced, you can request a credit line increase online and get approved for a small amount, call and you might get even more. Very odd how they are granting small bumps and almost every month now. Guess it's about the same as granting a large increase every 6 months 

Message 3 of 9
Mones
Frequent Contributor

What's the process to get reconsidered for a higher limit. I tried explained to the CSR that I have higher limits on other cards and the limit on my Discover card is making it difficult to use for larger purchases (a slight exaggeration) I also explained how I have to stop using the card after getting so close to the CL (a lie because I used to let small amount report only but it seems leaving high amounts help with CLI on my account). Time will tell what February brings but fingered cross (this time will be again with almost no usage, probably reporting $0)

Current Cards (in order of approval)

Closed Cards

Current FICO 8 Scores:
Inquires (6/12/24):
Account Age metrics:
Updated Mar 12th, 2024
Message 4 of 9
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Macy's & Discover CLI's

Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Mones wrote:

What's the process to get reconsidered for a higher limit. I tried explained to the CSR that I have higher limits on other cards and the limit on my Discover card is making it difficult to use for larger purchases (a slight exaggeration) I also explained how I have to stop using the card after getting so close to the CL (a lie because I used to let small amount report only but it seems leaving high amounts help with CLI on my account). Time will tell what February brings but fingered cross (this time will be again with almost no usage, probably reporting $0)

There really isn't a reconsideration process for a higher CL regardless if other cards have higher CLs. Discover isn't really swayed by that. In the past, some membets used the HP avenue if the account was eligible under manual review, but more often than not, it ended up being a disappointment for many since the outcome was not as fruitful as expected with the HP to boot.

I believe the double-dip method is still an option when a request is approved online and one calls right away to see whether the system can approve any additional CL. It's been successful for several members but YEMV. Perhaps in February try for another CLI, and if approved, call right away and see if the DD method works for you.

Message 6 of 9
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your CLIs!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 9
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the double CLIs! Some growth is better than none.

The DPs are appreciated a bunch. 

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 9
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

WooHoo!! Congratulations on your Approvals!!👏🏼🍾🥂

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.