Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys and Bloomingdales CLI

tag
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Macys and Bloomingdales CLI

I applied for the Macy and Bloomingdale cards a week ago (still havent recieved either card).

I went to Macys and their prices are ridiculous (a ralph lauren or Tommy hillfiger polo shirt that is on clearance for 79.99. That's clearance??????

Anyways, got me 3 pairs of dress socks for like 20 bucks (intial approved limit was 100$) I got my first stop card use offer of 15% off which ended up being 17 dollars for silk dress shoe socks (nice). She called macys credit department. On my first transaction, it was bumped up to a 300 CL.

Just shopped on bloomingdales and got me like a 12pack of Kcups for 11.99 and with shipping came out to be 17 and change. Of course had to call credit department again to activate card. They bumped my credit line from 200 intial approval to 800$ on my first transaction.

Sweet. I now have a 1100 credit line with them which will increase my credit utilization overall on all my cards.

I am suprised at how quick they bumped them up. I was thinking 3-6 months before they did that.My only logic to explain that is they look at your initial purchase and see how much of it you are going to use and determine the limit increase. If you get the card and max it out on the first purchase, obviously that will probably flag it in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Macys and Bloomingdales CLI

I think its kinda of a requirement, the card is useless at the starting limit they come with, its really just a test to see if you are going to use it and then pay the bill.

No one is going to pull out 2 credit cards every time they want to buy a dress shirt, and k-cups is not exactly there desired purchase.

Now if we can just get Target to see the light, Sorry i'm not going to use my $200 CL target card to buy a 55" TV if i have to pull out my prime card for the balance.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 7
goosedog
Regular Contributor

I had my Target card for 3 years before i defaulted on it due to a job layoff 6 years ago. In the 3 years I had it, they never offered a CLI or anything. Target is behind on the times. They are the only crazy ones to buy a chain department store (kmart) that was realistically suppose to be dead by now. I pass by kmart everyday, theres maybe 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot.

Message 3 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Sears bought Kmart... 

Target just lost big money on there credit card program and refused to give CLI's so they can't loose money again, and recently sold their credit cards to TD Bank, so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for a CLI on the card, if it wasn't for the 5% cash back the card would be closed, wife still uses it from time to time, its been in her purse for the last 9 months or so...

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 7
goosedog
Regular Contributor

My bad you are right. It was sears. Duh me.

Are you sure it TD? I applied for the TARGET card and was denied, and the pulling company was CITIBANK.

Message 5 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Macy's will start limits very low if you apply online. They take fraud and security very seriously and online applications can easily be fradulent. Once you go in the store, they will usually raise it. You will also get a higher line and possibly the American Express branded one if you apply in the store.

Things may be cheaper online. I shop in the Boys section, but it's cheaper to go online than buy in the store(except for tax).

Message 6 of 7
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@goosedog wrote:

My bad you are right. It was sears. Duh me.

Are you sure it TD? I applied for the TARGET card and was denied, and the pulling company was CITIBANK.

In card agreement:  

REDcard®: Existing Target Credit Cards, Target® Visa® Credit Cards and Target Debit Cards, and new Target Credit Cards and Target Debit Cards. New cards subject to application approval. The REDcard credit cards are issued by TD Bank USA, N.A. The REDcard debit card is issued by Target Corporation. VISA is a registered trademark of VISA USA, Inc

Also found some additional info about the purchase:

As part of the agreement, TD will control risk-management policies and regulatory compliance and the retailer will continue to perform account servicing functions. That means TD Bank will make decisions about things like which applications are accepted and what interest rates are charged to customers, while Target still handles bill processing and customer service issues.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.