cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Rewards Premier Approval

mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval


@BSoulMan wrote:

@amuthan wrote:

This year began with a bang for me! 

 

I got an invitation to apply for the Chase Marriott Rewards card for a signup bonus of 70,000 points after $3k in 3 months. I should say that after my AmEx approvals, this one really made me tear up. Exactly two years ago, I had one unpaid collection, several 90 day lates, a lot of 30 day lates and 60 day lates. Most of which still haven't gotten off my reports yet. I had a credit limit of $1,620 over three cards! Lolz.. Today I have about $25k+ in credit cards alone and an additional $24k as an AU. Smiley Very Happy

 

Thanks to all the members of myFICO, without who's help I couldn't have achieved this!

 

I love the Marriott chain and I'm so glad that I could finally get my hands on this card! I was carrying a balance on my Freedom card which I PIF since I wanted to apply for this card. Also my utilization was at 4% and I had about five 30 day lates and 1 paid collection reporting on my Experian. 


Congratulations!

I was also so elated when I got this card last year- it opened many doors to me for getting other PRIME cards, in additional to getting an auto loan through Chase.

I also had a similar situation to you with 30 day lates (mainly Student loans, which will haunt me still for some time)

I use the Marriott pretty much daily and for the most part do a PIF every month.

Know which cards to use to maximize your points and keep in mind your utilization on all total cards and you will be fine, maybe charge managable amounts on your cards to keep them active.

 


What credit score were you approved for Marriott Rewards? I have over 200,000 points still left with Marriott and I am traveling again.

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 21 of 29
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval


@amuthan wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@amuthan wrote:

This year began with a bang for me! 

 

I got an invitation to apply for the Chase Marriott Rewards card for a signup bonus of 70,000 points after $3k in 3 months. I should say that after my AmEx approvals, this one really made me tear up. Exactly two years ago, I had one unpaid collection, several 90 day lates, a lot of 30 day lates and 60 day lates. Most of which still haven't gotten off my reports yet. I had a credit limit of $1,620 over three cards! Lolz.. Today I have about $25k+ in credit cards alone and an additional $24k as an AU. Smiley Very Happy

 

Thanks to all the members of myFICO, without who's help I couldn't have achieved this!

 

I love the Marriott chain and I'm so glad that I could finally get my hands on this card! I was carrying a balance on my Freedom card which I PIF since I wanted to apply for this card. Also my utilization was at 4% and I had about five 30 day lates and 1 paid collection reporting on my Experian. 


Im afraid to try for anything since I still have two collections, one aging off in March this year. Im at 708 on EX, 715 TU, 723 EQ. I have two Cap 1's at $2500 ea and 1 WF at $1500, 3% utililazatioin. I ahve a great income. How did you get so many good cards? 


It all started with this forum. Can you believe I didn't know where or that I could even request a CLI on my credit cards? So, I began with Cap1. It was a regular unsecured card that I had before I tanked my credit. Still it was a $500 card with $499 balance for about a year just making minimum payments. I had a citi diamond preferred card that still has a limit of $1,120 (although it has been PC'd into a Double Cash). I had a Macy's store card of $100 and it was empty. I somehow managed to pay off the $500 on my Cap1 waited for about 2 months and requested a CLI. Since, I never requested one ever they decided to give me a $1,500 limit. I was ecstatic! Then after 3 months I applied for a QS1 card and got approved with a limit of $3k, I used my CC's as a debit card and made sure I PIF every month. This was Jan/Feb of last year, then around Mar I requested another CLI and PC'd my old Platinum to a QS1 and the QS1 to a Venture1. Shortly after I applied and got approved for a Barclay's Rewards card with a $2k limit. Barclays closed my old account because of multiple 60 day lates, but I paid my balance in full avoiding a collection back in 2013. This continued till May when we applied for my wife's (back then she was my fiance) Chase Sapphire Preferred, (she has exceptional credit btw) so she got approved for $24k limit and added me as an AU. It really helped me a lot to get my foot in with chase. Shortly there after I applied for the Freedom card (Creditkarma suggested my odds were good) and to my surprise I got approved for $4k limit. Ran a lot of expenses through it as we got married in June and ever since have been PIF and one day before the payment due date. This past October I applied for my AmEX PRG and Everyday card which I got approved for both! I have no idea how! I have been PIF, I think I staged my payments such that they always report < 10% utilization to the bureaus. I honestly think it was a stroke of luck and a lot of reading on this forum that has got me to where I am today... Smiley Happy

It's painstakingly long and hard process, but the benefits are amazing..! I will get in to the garden now and come back around July to see if I can apply for the CSP and/or SPG!! I hope that helps.. 


What scores did you have when you were getting approved for these cards? Especially the AMEX PRG and Marriott Rewards?

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 22 of 29
BSoulMan
New Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval


@mowglidude wrote:

@BSoulMan wrote:

@amuthan wrote:

This year began with a bang for me! 

 

I got an invitation to apply for the Chase Marriott Rewards card for a signup bonus of 70,000 points after $3k in 3 months. I should say that after my AmEx approvals, this one really made me tear up. Exactly two years ago, I had one unpaid collection, several 90 day lates, a lot of 30 day lates and 60 day lates. Most of which still haven't gotten off my reports yet. I had a credit limit of $1,620 over three cards! Lolz.. Today I have about $25k+ in credit cards alone and an additional $24k as an AU. Smiley Very Happy

 

Thanks to all the members of myFICO, without who's help I couldn't have achieved this!

 

I love the Marriott chain and I'm so glad that I could finally get my hands on this card! I was carrying a balance on my Freedom card which I PIF since I wanted to apply for this card. Also my utilization was at 4% and I had about five 30 day lates and 1 paid collection reporting on my Experian. 


Congratulations!

I was also so elated when I got this card last year- it opened many doors to me for getting other PRIME cards, in additional to getting an auto loan through Chase.

I also had a similar situation to you with 30 day lates (mainly Student loans, which will haunt me still for some time)

I use the Marriott pretty much daily and for the most part do a PIF every month.

Know which cards to use to maximize your points and keep in mind your utilization on all total cards and you will be fine, maybe charge managable amounts on your cards to keep them active.

 


What credit score were you approved for Marriott Rewards? I have over 200,000 points still left with Marriott and I am traveling again.


My scores were 648 EQ, 659 TU, 668,EX; Chase pulled EX on me.



AMEX Delta Gold SkyMiles | Capital One BuyPower World Elite MC | Capital One Platinum MC | Capital One Platinum MC | Capital One QuickSilver VISA | Chase Marriott Rewards VISA Signature | Credit One VISA | Discover it | Kohl's

In the garden until 06/2018
Message 23 of 29
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval

Wow good to know. My scores are 708 EX, 713 TU and 737 EQ, mainly I think because I got my utilization down to 3%. I have two collections still, one aging off in March on all bureaus. So I should be able to get that card I hope. Is it worth it?
Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 24 of 29
BSoulMan
New Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval


@mowglidude wrote:
Wow good to know. My scores are 708 EX, 713 TU and 737 EQ, mainly I think because I got my utilization down to 3%. I have two collections still, one aging off in March on all bureaus. So I should be able to get that card I hope. Is it worth it?

If you get approved (for the Marriott) the minimum amount  is $5K- it was worth it to me to get in the door with Chase and since then they have been very nice to me.  I got an increase in credit and an auto loan.  I can say that Chase and Capital One have been generous and fair, AMEX is a work in progress, (they let me in once I got the Marriott) but Discover actually reduced my credit line with them by $500 saying that I had too much credit- did not see that coming.  I think on this forum they call that an 'Adverse Action'.

 

I was holding out for the Venture (I just got approved for the SONY card a few days ago), but I have the AMEX gold, I think I would just be acting greedy right now.  The Venture and Chase Sapphire are about the same card, I am not sure if I need either right now.  A year ago the only card I had was Credit One, now I have 12 credit cards.  It is amazing what a little disclipine, hard work and patience can do.

 

I really like the Marriott card, I use it daily as I do a lot of travel for business and can expense the rooms while getting points.

If you do not travel alot I am not sure if it is worth it because they bumped all the Category hotels up significantly so that your points are not as valuable as once before. The lower Category hotels are further away from the cities.

 

I am going to reduce my wallet with this card:

http://www.swypcard.com/design/

 

Cheers,

 

 



AMEX Delta Gold SkyMiles | Capital One BuyPower World Elite MC | Capital One Platinum MC | Capital One Platinum MC | Capital One QuickSilver VISA | Chase Marriott Rewards VISA Signature | Credit One VISA | Discover it | Kohl's

In the garden until 06/2018
Message 25 of 29
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval

I'll have to see what's out there that works well for me. I figure a few more months in the garden, wait for that collection to age off and go for a few. I like the WF Propel 365 for its points on restaurants and gas stations. I will have to check what I can get with my scores.
Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 26 of 29
amuthan
Regular Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval

When I applied for the AmEX PRG and ED (It was a single pull on EX for both the cards)

 

I think my EX at that time was 640 something. 

 

For the Marriott my EX was 675.

 

Starting Score: 533 (EX), 566 (TU), 577 (EQ) as of 11/6/2014
Marriott Rewards Premier - $5,000
AMEX Everyday - $3,000
AMEX PRG - NPSL
AMEX Delta Gold - $6,500
AMEX SPG - $9,000
Chase Freedom - $5,500
Chase Sapphire - $24,000 (AU)
Capital One QS1 - $6,500
Capital One Venture One - $5,000
Citibank Dbl Cash - $10,000
Barclays Rewards - $2,000
Discover it - $12,000

EX: 690 EQ: 685 TU: 680 As of 11/2017
In the Garden till 2018
Message 27 of 29
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval

That's good to know. I didn't think I could get PRG with my scores, but maybe I can. I'll try in March I guess. Might as well wait until one of two CO ages off my bureaus.
Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 28 of 29
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Approval


@amuthan wrote:

When I applied for the AmEX PRG and ED (It was a single pull on EX for both the cards)

 

I think my EX at that time was 640 something. 

 

For the Marriott my EX was 675.

 


I had the one of my last two collections age off last week and my score on EX dropped from 708 - 690, with one less collection, weird. My AAoA dropped from 6.3 - 5.7, so maybe that's it? My UTI is down to 1%. Is everyone saying to PIF? Is that better then keeping a small amount on my cards? I can PIF if that is better. I really want this card, but I bank with WF. Does that matter? And 690 on EX? I have good income etc..What are my chances? I dont want to waste a HP, if my chances are low...

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 820 TU 831 EQ 833 02/09/21
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.