cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Mastercard CLI - To Be or Not To Be?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvel Mastercard CLI - To Be or Not To Be?

I decided to use the online request increase button on my Marvel Mastercard which is about 18 months old give or take.  It asked me for my income and how much I wanted to increase my CL to.  I requested it be raised to 25,000 from 16,000.  It approved the request and showed the new CL immediately.  About a week later (dated March 1, 2018) I got a letter from Synchrony Bank stating my increase request was received but we are unable to approve your request at this time.  The reason for our decision is that:

Requested credit line exceeds the amount of increase our policy allows

Previously I see where the CL was increased immediately so I waited until today to see if the increased CL was still there.  It is still there.  I don't know what this is all about and it doesn't really matter a lot as I don't use the card much at all. The last time I used it was July 2017.  I always PIF as soon as the charges post.  If the CL remains I might use it more frequently as the APR is decent and I love my Captain America card.

I hope this isn't a prelude to a blue envelope in which case I'll have to say goodbye to Marvel and Lowes.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marvel Mastercard CLI - To Be or Not To Be?

Can only suggest you keep checking

Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

May i ask why you'd want an increase to 25k on a card you havent used since july. That seems to be pushing the Sync envelope especially when not using the card. Id recommend using it .
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be right.  There is a lot of "pushing" reported on this board just to see what is available. I don't push often but I merely reported what occurred.  I want to get all that is on the table but I can tell you that "if" Synchrony doesn't like the pushing I'm still good.  At this point I still have the higher CL but I won't be using it for a while so if they lower it back to $16,000 I won't be mad at them.  I hope they don't but whatever floats their boat is good with me.

I have a rotation with my cards that includes BMW; Citi Double Cash; PenFed; Navy; DCU; USAA and Marvel.  Marvel is next up so I want the CL to be at an amount that will not raise my utilization on that card if I put a large amount on it (and not pay in full) for a month or two. It takes me several months to rotate usage so it may be several months before I use a particular card.

Hope this answers your question.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. I will keep checking.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the increase, hopefully it sticks.

Although I don't normally use my Marvel for anything other than eating out, it is nice to have cushion if I had to use it in a pinch and it reported high

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.