Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Mastercard [Synchrony] Approval with Multiple Paid Charge Offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marvel Mastercard [Synchrony] Approval with Multiple Paid Charge Offs

For starters, this is my first post on myFICO, but I have benefited from all the great posts on here.  Because of all of the posts I have read, I have been able to improve my credit immensely.  My story should hopefully help other people out there who are in a comparable situation to me.  

In October 2016, I decided to rebuild my credit.  At that point, I had 9 unpaid credit card charge offs (none of them from Synchrony).  My credit scores across the board were in the mid 500s.  I paid off the charge offs, and it took two months for my credit reports to update.  All of the accounts are still on my credit report as of now and are scheduled to fall off my report in 2022.  

I have been rebuilding my credit, and last month, I applied and was approved for a Capital One unsecured Platinum Mastercard at $300 SL.  After checking my FICO 8 credit scores on 7/7/2017, I saw that my scores were 670 EX (up from 642 in June), 692 TU (up from 630 in June), and 624 EQ (currently disputing a couple of inaccuracies).

I have never had a card with Synchrony, and I received an email offer for the Paypal Cashback Mastercard a couple of weeks ago.  After doing some research on Synchrony Bank, I was stuck between the Paypal Cashback and the Marvel Mastercard, but I was worried I wouldn't be approved for either of them.  I finally decided on the Marvel Mastercard after reading multiple blog posts; the Marvel card seemed to be the best fit for my spending habits.  Because my TU score was at 692, I decided to apply at around 11pm on Saturday, 7/8/2017.  After hitting submit, I received the 7-10 day message, which made me think I was denied.  

I called the number that people referenced in previous posts (866-246-4282), and they verified my information.  After verification, I was APPROVED for $1,500 SL!  I plan on calling Credit Solutions to see if I can increase that limit to better match my income.

The point of the story is that I was approved for the Marvel Mastercard with a 692 TU FICO 8, 9 paid charge off accounts from 2015.  I hope this story can help other people who are rebuilding their credit.  In less than one year, I have gone from mid 500s to high 600s for two of my scores.  I'm pretty excited to have a new everyday card!  

Here is an overview of my CURRENT stats:

Credit scores: TU FICO 692, EX FICO 670, and EQ FICO 624

AAoA: 3 years

Utilization: 0% of $7,500 (pay all balances in full each month)

Baddies: 9 charge offs from 2015, still reporting 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marvel Mastercard [Synchrony] Approval with Multiple Paid Charge Offs

Welcome to myFico!!
Congrats on your Marvel approval!! Not a terrible SL, and looks like you know how Synchrony can grow for you
Message 2 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats and welcome to the fico Fam and Marvel fam. At TU 692, a $1500 sl is about right. I think i got mine about the same score and limit. Mine is now 8k. The thing is when this first came out we could call and get the limit increased almost before we got the card. Sync is a little different this past couple months so dont be discouraged if you dont get it right off the bat. A statement cut or 2 should do the trickSmiley Happy

Again well doneSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies and encouragement!  I just called Credit Solutions (866-519-6441) and was not able to get approved for a CLI past $1,500, but I was told I could request an increase again when the card arrives.  I will probably wait until the first or second statement cut, per AverageJoesCredit's advice.

It feels great to be on the road to rebuilding my credit and to be in with Synchrony! 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.