Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini App-Spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mini App-Spree

I had some disappointing applications to Chase and Amex last month, and had decided to garden for a while. I then found myself having to move due to work relocating me for a much higher paying position out of the blue, which involved me applying for a new apartment and thus a hard pull from Credco, who I guess is what the management company uses. Once I got the alert for that Inquiry, I said what the heck, maybe I should do some apps and see what happens. As part of the apartment process, I had to go to the bank to get a certified check for the security deposit, and I was chatting up with the banker that was assisting me (who happens to be a very close personal friend), and she told me I had a BofA prequalification. I decided to pull the trigger and was approved for the CashRewards card with a $3000 SL. The card has a $200 SUB with a $500 spend, and she had the card overnighted to me. The approval wasn't instant, it took about 24 hours to get the email that I had been approved and a phone call from their credit team (I have a fraud alert on my reports, so they need to verify). 

The next day, I decided to go for a second NFCU card (Amex MoreRewards) and a CLI on my NFCU NRewards card, which is at it's starting limit of $2900 since July '16. I had some issues with this card while unemployed, bounced a few payments and became 30 days late, so I have not gotten any love on this card from NFCU, understandably so, and I also had a checking account charge off during that same time period due to someone scamming me with a bad check (long story, for another post). I was rejected for both the Amex MoreRewards and the CLI with the only reason being that I had "caused NFCU a loss". I had that loss on a payment plan where I was paying NFCU $200/mo and had about 7 months left to pay on the charge off. Since I was getting a Relo bonus from work, I called up the collections team and paid the balance in full up front ahead of our payment arrangement. Once I had my denial letter on hand, I contacted NFCU via secured message for both the CLI denial and the Card denial to be reconsidered due to the fact that the loss had been paid off, and they had even called me to re-establish my checking account.  For the card, they immediately replied that they were going to recon, and I should hear from someone in a few hours to verify my application due to the fraud alert, and for the CLI, they said I had to submit the request again, as they do not do recons on CLIs.  I didn't want another hard pull (I ended up with 2 from both the CLI request, EQ, and the new card, TU), so I gave up on the CLI. In a few hours, a very nice rep called and went over my app and told me I was good to go as far as being reconsidered since the fraud alert had been verified. The next morning, I nearly crapped my pants when I opened my NFCU app on my phone to notice the Amex card listed with a whopping $20k SL significantly exceeding any other CLs on my credit profile. I knew NFCU to be generous but didn't think they would be that generous to me! Definitely grateful for their generosity. I'm considering applying for the CLOC, but not sure I want the additional inquiry. I'm not really considering a mortgage or anything major other than shopping for a new car in the spring of 2019, so I will probably garden until then. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MrPSS
Regular Contributor

Re: Mini App-Spree

I really enjoyed reading this story! Congrats on that monster SL and thanks for sharing!!

Current: Gardening...

FICO 8: EX:TU:EQ:

As of Aug 2020. Total CL: $46,600; Goal: $50,000
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! It is a monster SL indeed. I think I'm going to start moving some of my banking back to NFCU since they re-openned my checking acct

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. That's an Awesome SL. I hope to get a SL like that from them when I finally app. Congrats again.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW Awesome story. Thanks for all the details, it really is useful info. Congrats on the approvals and super awesome NCFU SL!!!

tenor.gif

Message 5 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your CLIs!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

They sure were generous, congrats on the awesome SL!!

Message 7 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story. Glad to hear things moving in the right direction. Good luck with your relocation and congratulations on your new cards!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice - enjoyed reading your story, very inspiring! Way to go Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to be relentless with NFCU on the CLI Recon and finally found someone in Member Services that knew what they were doing and processed the recon without an additional pull. Got an extra $1,100 from them bringing my total CL to $4k. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.