cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 18 year old approved for discover student card!!!

tag
susieqj
Regular Contributor

My 18 year old approved for discover student card!!!

I applied for a student discover card for my 18 year old son who is stating college next weeks.  He was approved for $500.00. For those parents who would like to apply, I used my income and he is also an authorized user on 2 of my capital one credit cards.  I live in NYC he is staring college in Georgia and I will be managing his account to make sure that he is using credit responsible. Although I have a long way to go. I am glad to be teaching him about the importance of good credit and

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: My 18 year old approved for discover student card!!!

This is great news! I wish I would have been taught the importance of credit and being responsible with it at a young age, I don't blame my Mom bc she was never taught anything about it either . But I will definitely be helping build my kiddos credit up once they are of age . I have already made them members with USAA and will be doing the same for Navy fed for them.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@susieqj wrote:

I applied for a student discover card for my 18 year old son who is stating college next weeks.  He was approved for $500.00. For those parents who would like to apply, I used my income and he is also an authorized user on 2 of my capital one credit cards.  I live in NYC he is staring college in Georgia and I will be managing his account to make sure that he is using credit responsible. Although I have a long way to go. I am glad to be teaching him about the importance of good credit and

Hi susieqj,

My son is starting college as well in few days and i'm interested in get him a cc, do you mind tell me how?, did you applied using your info or his info?, right now my son is using one of my card (same name/last name lol) but i want him to start using his own ans start learning.

Thank you in advance.

Message 3 of 9
susieqj
Regular Contributor

Thank youAduke1122,  the earlier the better.

Message 4 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congrats OP!!
Elegua01, it's self explanatory on the Discover site. I did the same for my step daughter. Except she used her own part time job income for the card. They approved her for $1000. She also has Navy Fed and USAA CC's $500 each, that I had her apply for.

I previously added her as an AU to one of my Amex and Chase cards roughly 9 months ago.
Two weeks ago we instructed her to open a $500 shared secured loan through Alliant.

She 19 years old with current credit scores now at EX 770, TU 755 and EQ 753.
The shared secured loan reported for the first time this month and boosted her around 15 points.
I encourage you guys do the shared secured loan for your kids. You'll find instructions in one of the other forums. I believe its a sticky some where around here.

Message 5 of 9
susieqj
Regular Contributor

Hi Elegua01,

I used my financial information for household income and my monthly rent. He is also and AU on 2 of my capital one cards. They asked to upload proof of his enrollment, college id or copy of class schedule etc. I applied for Capital one Journey and was not approved. I believe it is because my cards were open in march and capital one is following the 6 months’ rule. My other son was approved for journey 2 years ago without any credit history, but got denied for the discover at that time. 

Message 6 of 9
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

My son was approved for a Discover IT student card last July when he was 18.  The application was completed in his name, using all of his information.  For the student card, we had to send proof to Discover that he was enrolled in college.  We sent a copy of his acceptance letter & confirmation of enrollment to Discover, and that's all they needed.  His starting line was $1,000, and after about 8 or 9 months they gave him an auto-CLI of $500.

Oh, and if you are a Discover cardholder, you can use "Refer-A-Friend" to send your son an email with a link to apply for Discover.  Using that link to apply will get you both a $50 cash back bonus if he is approved.  I used Refer-A-Friend last July, and both me and my son each received $50.  And, this was actually doubled to a total of $100 for each of us due to the double cash back bonus program.

Lastly, if your son maintains a GPA of 3.0 or higher for the upcoming school year, he can get a $20 cash back reward.  He could potentially get this reward up to 5 times over the next 5 years.  This is Discover's "Good Grades Reward" program.

Good luck to you and your son!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@susieqj wrote:

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@susieqj wrote:

Hi Elegua01,

I used my financial information for household income and my monthly rent. He is also and AU on 2 of my capital one cards. They asked to upload proof of his enrollment, college id or copy of class schedule etc. I applied for Capital one Journey and was not approved. I believe it is because my cards were open in march and capital one is following the 6 months’ rule. My other son was approved for journey 2 years ago without any credit history, but got denied for the discover at that time. 

Thank you OP, i will look into this 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.