Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Fico Forum is the best!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Fico Forum is the best!

Scores were up to 666, 678, and 753 and I had 2 old collections on one report, and 2 paid tax liens on another report.  1 AU account and a cb account with low limit.  Very thin file. 

When scores hit this level, I thought someone would give me a cash rewards card and I went on a mini-spree over the past 2.5 weeks.  But numbers are not always what you need.  I started with Discover.  ironically they declined me with just a soft pull.  Yes, you heard me, they never did a hard pull!  I received my Equifax report today and it still is not there.  Just a soft pull on the day of my application.  That was 5/26.  When I called to find out why they denied me they said it was my tax liens.  Being paid did not matter, they do not recon.    Disappointed and hating rejection, I pouted for a few days, and then decided maybe Chase will give me a chance since I had a card in good standings with them about 8 years ago (still on my report as closed).  Got the 7-10 day message, and still have not gotten the denial letter.  Waiting to call for recon, but I checked status daily for a week.  So I know it was still a denial.  Have not reconned.  Wanted information as to why since they pulled EX and TU.  Probably the thin file and the two collections which will fall off in a few months.

So I read more about NFCU.  I got excited when I found out my son being in the delayed entry program qualified me.  So I attempted to apply.  No go, cuz he is under 18.  :-(  Back to the drawing board.

Someone suggested PenFed.  So I took the hit and applied.  Paid the $10.00 donation and joined.  Immediately applied for their cash rewards.  It went under review.  Got notice yesterday they denied me based on Equifax and those stupid paid state tax liens.  (Did I mention California Sucks!!!).  So I am in the middle of recon with them, but really feeling low.  How can you build credit if you can not get credit.  NFCU is great for that. 

I applied for a CLI on my cap1QS1 lastnight.  They approved me for a measily $100.00!!!!!  OMG, I really felt LOW now. 

So I decided come hell or high water I was going to try NFCU.  Everyone here loves them!  I  finally found an eligible family member, and asked for his access #.  He gave it to me today.  I decided I would do these last few pulls for a card and then garden if NFCU denied me.  But was hopefull from what I read here.  Fortunately the best part is they pull transunion.  My clean file!  I pulled the trigger with great anticipation, and it felt like the wheels spun on the please wait while we process your order screen FOREVER!!!  Then BAM!  It happened!   Instant Approval for $14,700 cash rewards at 13% interest!  :-) 

If it were not for all your great stories I would have given up.  Now I feel I can garden with this kind of credit!  Yay.  Thank you all so much!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: My Fico Forum is the best!

Congrats on the approval...

Might want to ask folks in the rebuilding forum about the liens esp since they are paid.....

Garden for a bit... then try talking to some of the nos again if you get some headway in getting them removed...(id wait about 6 months to try again if you get them taken care of)

I think if you get them removed... id try another round.. Discover and Penfed probably

ALso with the navy card aging.. you might get some headway on your scores as well...

Great job

-J

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  I have been working on getting the liens off.  TU and EX took them off immediately.  EQ is a pain though.  Hoping the new rules that take effect next month will finally get EQ to get them removed.

I don't feel the need to juggle a bunch of cards.  We plan on refinancing the house next year.  So I am gardening until then now that I have a self lender loan, and two of my own cards, as well as an AU account.  Who knows, maybe PenFed will come back with a Recon Approval this week too.  I don't even want to bother with Chase now.  How many rewards cards does 1 person really need.  Lol.

Thank you all again! 

Message 3 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

There is some substance to having at least 3 of your own cards is ideal for scoring purposes.. (might have to cut the AU when you app for the mortgage) 

might find you want to put reoccuring stuff on one card and not another....

And you know about All Zero except One when it comes time for that... but with one card its tricky... you definitely want to try to pif but After the statement cuts not before with only one card... also saw you went with self lender instead of alliant.. but that works too...

Its not so much rewards its a case of diversification as well... if a bank gets squeamish you have another card to fall back on... or such...

Id consider  having at least 3 CC... even if you set them on autopay and put subscriptions or reoccuring bills on one..

but 6 months out is the latest id try if your going to... if you get those liens removed.. id wait a month or two to settle and try then.. vs the full 6 mo..

-J

Message 4 of 12
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The alliant instructions were indepth, but it seemed a bit of a process compared to self lender. I miggt be up for it next year when this one is done.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 7 of 12
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Nfcu is awesome
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 8 of 12
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

That's fantastic!!! Smiley Happy Congrats on the fat limit Smiley Happy

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! What a great success story!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.