Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Ever Charge Card AMEX Platinum Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My First Ever Charge Card AMEX Platinum Approved

Last week I received a Prequalified Email from Amex for the Amex Platinum.

Reviewed all my options if I can Offset the $450 AF and I think I can..

So I decided to app and got instant approval!

Gonna fly to Asia this Summer, will definitely take advantage of the Lounge Access here in JFK and ICN.

Also the $100 Global Entry

Going to Macau and HKG as well and will definitely take advantage of the HHonors and SPG Gold Status Perks.

Still thinking on how to use the $200 Airline Credit though.. Some say you can use to buy Gift Cards, but Amex website clearly says you can't and for incidental credit only.

Anyways if anyone can help for advise and chime in..

As for Data points.. My EX is sitting at 656 with 7 INQ. Also like I said, this is a Prequal with an RSVP Code.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My First Ever Charge Card AMEX Platinum Approved

Congrats on the Amex Platinum approval.  It is a great feeling when you get an approval but definitely better when it is from Amex. You can use the $200.00 credit easily on gift cards with certain airlines and get the credit back without any hassle.  There are a ton of sites (flyertalk, etc...) that will help you.  Again, Congrats on your new Amex!  

Message 2 of 27
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Erick. Do you fly Southwest at all? You can buy $50 SW gift cards with no issue at all
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 27
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Congrats btw... what offer did you get?
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 27
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Congratulations! You give me hope that Amex can be in my future as well!
PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
Erick. Do you fly Southwest at all? You can buy $50 SW gift cards with no issue at all

Unfortunately Not.. I fly mostly JetBlue as its available here in LGA and JFK..

The offer I received was 50K for $5K in 3 months. But I called and clarified though. I told em the public offer is 40K MR for 3K in 3 months. Why do I have a worst offer? They said it was a mistake and what's in their system is 50K MR for $5K in 6 months. Now that made a little sense.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kidink1911 wrote:
Congratulations! You give me hope that Amex can be in my future as well!

Yeah definitely.. I was kinda hopeless with AMEX too.. Its been 6 months and I've been stuck with 1K CL on my BCE.

But out of the blue, I got this prequal email.

What do I have to lose? Actually I will lose some pts again on EX if approved, lolz, which I was.

The Amex rule was.. SP for Denial and HP for Approved.

Message 7 of 27
hot4u
Established Contributor

Don't forget getting 5 miles per $ spent using this card.Smiley Wink

I also use it for seat upgrades etc.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hot4u wrote:

Don't forget getting 5 miles per $ spent using this card.Smiley Wink

I also use it for seat upgrades etc.

Really..? Seat Upgrades.. Can that be covered by the $200 Airline Credit?

I really would love to have a good seat on this 13hrs flight to Asia this summer.

Message 9 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your approvalSmiley Happy im sure it will bring you lots of joySmiley Happy
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.