Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Unsecured Card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My First Unsecured Card!

I had to share. Im still fighting with my Student Loans to get the old info off of the accounts. But the new accounts with good payment history, and getting my secured Cap1 and Fingerhut down quickly also helped. Finally all my scores are in the 600s. I decided to try a few pre qualifiy sites. First was Cap1... Was approved for the Quicksilver and Platinum. I choose the Quicksilver. Then I tried Discover, was pre qualified for a student card, but then not approved.

Regardless I now have 3 Credit Lines Smiley Happy Cap1 QS, CAP1 Sec, and Fingerhut Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: My First Unsecured Card!

Everybody starts somewhere.  Congrats on the new credit and keep up the good effort, I know how difficult negatively reporting student loans can be to fix.

Message 2 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had to share. Im still fighting with my Student Loans to get the old info off of the accounts. But the new accounts with good payment history, and getting my secured Cap1 and Fingerhut down quickly also helped. Finally all my scores are in the 600s. I decided to try a few pre qualifiy sites. First was Cap1... Was approved for the Quicksilver and Platinum. I choose the Quicksilver. Then I tried Discover, was pre qualified for a student card, but then not approved.

Regardless I now have 3 Credit Lines Smiley Happy Cap1 QS, CAP1 Sec, and Fingerhut Smiley Happy

On Discover, If you want to take the HP now (so the account can start to age now with your other open accounts) (and can handle a 200$ or more deposit) I think you have a good chance for the secured version.... or you can wait a few months... You have a good lineup right now...

But if you decide to take it now (and your scores are roughly where they are now.. once you get in the 660s id just app for a regular disco in your situation)  not later,,, apply for the secured.. dont apply for the normal/student discover and think your going to be offered it... not quite how it works with them right now.. Likely to need new pulls even though you apped for the student card... You can also try calling them to see if they will offer it to you (some folks have had luck with this.. its not a true recon.. but look on here.. think you need to talk to a backdoor rep for it though, might save you another pull)

Read on some thread that 650-660 on TU and the prerequisite 7mo is roughly when they start unsecuring.... YMMV of course, there are a few folks who have seen it at 5mo, and some, do take longer.... 

-J

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree on the secured version. Throw $200 in there and in 7 mo you could be unsecured with them. Plus Discover secured gets all the same benefits-rewards/fico score, etc.

You may even have a chance of calling an Uw and seeing if they will use the same HP if you do it today.

Congrats on the CapOne card.
Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on getting card #3, as stated above we all start somewhereSmiley Happy. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, thanks everyone for the well wishes. This site has been a mountain of useful information.

Second, what is Uw ? Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Underwriters.  Congrats & Keep up the great work!!! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome job!  Congratulations!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! FYI-Cap one usually will give you an auto cli in 6 months so long as you make all your payments ontime.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome. Congrats. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.