Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION CASH REWARDS CARD $20,000

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION CASH REWARDS CARD $20,000

Omg! Guys I cannot believe it but Lil Oh me (the 1 who had no score a year ago) was approved for a $20,000 limit two days ago.

Backstory was I had zero knowledge about credit my entire life. Started googling and found this forum and read many articles and booksand began to fix it on my own. I had zero credit and 3 baddies equaling over $12,000.

I disputed everything and started with a MJC account. When it posted my score jumped and I removed 2 items. 1 returned & later fell off. After a month I was approved for Capital 1 with $300. And in 5 months it jumped to $500 then in 3 more months got CLI to $750. I sat patiently and had a selflender account that I got right after my cap1 platinum card. It reported faithfully.

So I start getting preapprovals and apply to 1 but was denied when a few hospital bills my insurance forgot to cover pops up. I have them removed a month later and reapply and was approved with conditions for $2000. Annoyed I still have yet to send in the paperwork. It definitely didn’t feel like preapproval. So I swing for NFCU CLOC and after reading yoir comments I throw in Navy Fed CashRewards Card for kicks. I figured I would be licky to get $5000 CLOC.

I wake up and was sad to see I was declined for the CLOC. I have been using them daily so I was shocked. But when I looked over the page the rewards Card was somehow approved.I go into the details and to my suprise it said I was APPROVED FOR A $20,000 LIMIT!!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!!! 😁😁😁😁😁 IT worked.

I only wanted the CLOC for utilization ratio in order to one day get a $20,000 card. And to my suprise I got more than I could ask for. Im so happy.

So screw the $2000 card with my bank. I may apply for another card with this HP but will garden after this for a while. What do you think? Is it garden time? Or should I apply for more?
12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: NAVY FED CHASH REWARDS CARD $20,000

Big CongratsSmiley Happy That is awesome.

I just want to say as awesome as a 20k card is so soon out of the gate, please dont shun other cards that may give you less because not everyone is Navy ,who tend to give high limits to profiles in progress. Sometimes people have a 20k card and think everyone else should be giving them same limit or higher. It just doesnt work that way.

Continue to build your profile but no need to app 20 straight cards to do so. Pick cards that'll work for your spend and lifestyle. At 4/24, now a a good time to chill in the gardenSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the very nice SL.  

Just note, Navy doesn't reuse pulls for credit cards.  Each card application wil result in a new hard pull.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval , very nice SL

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done! I agree with AJC about choosing any other cards carefully. Take you time and get the cards you want. Again, congratulations!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just note, Navy doesn't reuse pulls for credit cards.  Each card application wil result in a new hard pull.

I have to make a correction on that. Navy will SP on remaining credit card application or any loan application falls under the same department unless the previous application from HP is too old. 

If you apply a loan from a different department in NFCU, you will get HP each time because they are using different models of FICO score. 

I got lucky that when I refinance for auto loan I received SP which supposes to be HP. I spoke with the loan officer in person and she confirmed about the loan department and HP impact on credit application.  

Message 6 of 13
aerospaqe23
Valued Member

Congrats on the approval, What bureau did they pull for you?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me or OP? My pull is EQ SP.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was equifax and transunion. So Do you think I should apply for another at NFCU? My CK is 720 but my FICO 8 is 655. I have only 1 closed baddie thats being disputed for $2000 but 1 paid loan.... (closed) in perfect standing. 1 secured loan a month old. 1 cap 1 $750 excellent payment history and nfcu $20k that has not reported yet. Only 4 inquiries and 2 qill be gone by sept of this year. I hava a preapproval for AMEX cards with annual fee. But I already pay $99 for My jewelry Club $5000 card. Thanks in advance guys. This forum is so awesome and everyone here in it
Message 9 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to make a correction on that. Navy will SP on remaining credit card application or any loan application falls under the same department unless the previous application from HP is too old. 

If you apply a loan from a different department in NFCU, you will get HP each time because they are using different models of FICO score. 

I got lucky that when I refinance for auto loan I received SP which supposes to be HP. I spoke with the loan officer in person and she confirmed about the loan department and HP impact on credit application.  

There's a small correction due here as well... while a HP can occasionally be reused when you apply for an auto and CLOC (since they are the same department) the same isn't true for credit cards. 

One should expect a fresh HP for each and every card applied for, even if it's the same day.

Also, if there's already a HP on file for an auto loan, I would do the CLOC over the phone to ensure the same HP was used (if possible), since if you do it online it's likely the automation will pull another automatically. 

Edited to add:  Big congrats, @Anonymous!  screamer.gif

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.