Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU 7 Month Journey & 2 Approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU 7 Month Journey & 2 Approvals

I joined NFCU back in July on a trip to D.C. when I discovered they were accepting Veterans. I should have joined when I was in the Marine Corps! Oh well...anyway. I signed up and about 3 months later applied for the More Rewards Amex after getting an offer in the mail. At that time my scores were in the low 600's following a rebuild of some unfortunate things that happened a few years prior. Moving on. I app'd and like most people, was looking for the immediate denial. To my surprise I was approved for $9100 CL! Highest I have ever gotten. I previously had two Amex and a Cap 1, each with approx $2500 CL, that were closed years ago. Needless to say I'm still in the doghouse with Amex, but hope to resolve that soon. At the time of my application I had a few "rebuild" cards to include: USAA Amex Secured at $700, Merrick at $600, Cap 1 QS1 at $300, Cap 1 Platinum at $500. All reporting $0 balance at time of application, a car loan that was a year old with on-time payments, and one somewhat small collection that was about 4 years old. Oh, and my income is/was around $45k. 

After receiving my card I used the heck out of it for a couple of large purchases to get the bonus points, but never carried a balance of more than 5-8% util. Well, after stalking the forums for the past few months I learned about the 90 day/3 statement thing and started to consider another card after I reached that benchmark. Last night I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Flagship and a CLI with my MR reporting a $50 balance. My TU FICO 9 score was 646, which I have read that's what NFCU uses for credit cards. Not that great but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I went ahead and hit the submit button on the Flagship and waited anxiously, again expecting a denial or low SL. The circle of death finishes spinning and bam! $20K SL @ 14% APR. Not the best APR but I'll take it!  After that I went ahead and did the CLI on my MR up to $15K and got the 24 hour message, so I have yet to hear back about that one, but I don't have high hopes based on what others are saying about stingy CLI's lately. Oh yeah, my Merrick was at $1200 at time of application for the new card and all cards reporting $0 balance with same income and no additional derogs.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with NFCU thus far. Like everyone has said, treat them well and they will do the same to you. I got my 25K bonus points on the MR, a new card, and hopefully a higher CL on my MR.

In other news, I got a pre-approval on Disco IT and Chrome, but I'll wait that one out for quite a while to get a better APR. Next on the agenda: square up with Amex to get off of their "list". And I'll prob chop the Cap 1 Platinum or QS1, not sure yet. 

Happy Friday everyone! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU 7 Month Journey

This is awesome news...great work!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the approval amount. Excited to be back in the right direction and making progress again!
Message 3 of 10
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Congrats on the new card and hopeful on the CLI!

Robot Very Happy

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great jobSmiley Happy. Thanks for your serviceSmiley Happy. Looks like Navy is making up for the lost years lolSmiley Happy. Remember after a year membership ir having your card, you are able to call and request apr reduxSmiley Happy 2 more days and i can try Smiley Happy. Enjoy that massive second card. Please report to Admiral WADE DALTON in Navy thread in appsSmiley Happy. Big dps like yours are not allowed AWOLSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 10
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU 7 Month Journey & 2 Approvals

Congrats on the big limit and rebuilding efforts!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work.. Congrats on your Navy success...  From one vet to another, thanks for your service. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I joined NFCU back in July on a trip to D.C. when I discovered they were accepting Veterans. I should have joined when I was in the Marine Corps! Oh well...anyway. I signed up and about 3 months later applied for the More Rewards Amex after getting an offer in the mail. At that time my scores were in the low 600's following a rebuild of some unfortunate things that happened a few years prior. Moving on. I app'd and like most people, was looking for the immediate denial. To my surprise I was approved for $9100 CL! Highest I have ever gotten. I previously had two Amex and a Cap 1, each with approx $2500 CL, that were closed years ago. Needless to say I'm still in the doghouse with Amex, but hope to resolve that soon. At the time of my application I had a few "rebuild" cards to include: USAA Amex Secured at $700, Merrick at $600, Cap 1 QS1 at $300, Cap 1 Platinum at $500. All reporting $0 balance at time of application, a car loan that was a year old with on-time payments, and one somewhat small collection that was about 4 years old. Oh, and my income is/was around $45k. 

@After receiving my card I used the heck out of it for a couple of large purchases to get the bonus points, but never carried a balance of more than 5-8% util. Well, after stalking the forums for the past few months I learned about the 90 day/3 statement thing and started to consider another card after I reached that benchmark. Last night I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Flagship and a CLI with my MR reporting a $50 balance. My TU FICO 9 score was 646, which I have read that's what NFCU uses for credit cards. Not that great but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I went ahead and hit the submit button on the Flagship and waited anxiously, again expecting a denial or low SL. The circle of death finishes spinning and bam! $20K SL @ 14% APR. Not the best APR but I'll take it!  After that I went ahead and did the CLI on my MR up to $15K and got the 24 hour message, so I have yet to hear back about that one, but I don't have high hopes based on what others are saying about stingy CLI's lately. Oh yeah, my Merrick was at $1200 at time of application for the new card and all cards reporting $0 balance with same income and no additional derogs.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with NFCU thus far. Like everyone has said, treat them well and they will do the same to you. I got my 25K bonus points on the MR, a new card, and hopefully a higher CL on my MR.

In other news, I got a pre-approval on Disco IT and Chrome, but I'll wait that one out for quite a while to get a better APR. Next on the agenda: square up with Amex to get off of their "list". And I'll prob chop the Cap 1 Platinum or QS1, not sure yet. 

Happy Friday everyone! 

@LB, welcome to the community, we are glad you joined us and congrats on all the Navy success!

Please keep us posted on the CLI outcome but with a new card at $20K, you're winnin' no matter what!! Well done!! Enjoy that shiny new Flagship and have a fantastic weekend!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Nice work.. Congrats on your Navy success...  From one vet to another, thanks for your service. 

Thanks, you too!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

wrote:

@After receiving my card I used the heck out of it for a couple of large purchases to get the bonus points, but never carried a balance of more than 5-8% util. Well, after stalking the forums for the past few months I learned about the 90 day/3 statement thing and started to consider another card after I reached that benchmark. Last night I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Flagship and a CLI with my MR reporting a $50 balance. My TU FICO 9 score was 646, which I have read that's what NFCU uses for credit cards. Not that great but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I went ahead and hit the submit button on the Flagship and waited anxiously, again expecting a denial or low SL. The circle of death finishes spinning and bam! $20K SL @ 14% APR. Not the best APR but I'll take it!  After that I went ahead and did the CLI on my MR up to $15K and got the 24 hour message, so I have yet to hear back about that one, but I don't have high hopes based on what others are saying about stingy CLI's lately. Oh yeah, my Merrick was at $1200 at time of application for the new card and all cards reporting $0 balance with same income and no additional derogs.

Happy Friday everyone! 

@LB, welcome to the community, we are glad you joined us and congrats on all the Navy success!

Please keep us posted on the CLI outcome but with a new card at $20K, you're winnin' no matter what!! Well done!! Enjoy that shiny new Flagship and have a fantastic weekend!!

Smiley Very Happy

Thanks! Well, no joy on the Amex CLI. The letter said I have reached their credit limit, which would put me at $29.1K combined. My profile has reached its limit is what they are saying I’m guessing. But I’m more than happy with how NFCU has treated me, so I won’t push my luck! 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.