cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU $8k approval after denial - data points!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU $8k approval after denial - data points!

OK, so when my EQ score reached 670 I felt confident and applied for membership to NFCU and was approved, then the next day app'd for the CC only to be denied. It was my first app in 1 year. This was 01/29/2017. I've read so many approvals here, but alas I wasn't one of them. My UTI, mind you, was at 27%. It had to be the reason.

I worked hard to get balances down and now my EQ is 689 and my UTI is 10% and I app'd again tonight. $8k instant approval for the Cash Rewards. Yay! And $15k approval for the CLOC. Deep breath, this is a milestone for me. I really, really want to establish a relationship with a major CU and this makes me very happy.

My post is for the data points for others. If your score is fair/good and you've been denied, don't stress as it could be your UTI. I have 1 CO from 6.5 years ago, but the primary reason for initial denial was the utilization. So, my advice if you're in a similar boat is to wait 3 months, get your UTI to 10% or below and re-app. If I can do it, you can too.

PS, I also had a PenFed CC denial a month ago, but that monster is its own battle -- to take place another day. I've learned so much here. Thank you, MyFICO members!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU $8k approval after denial - data points!

Nice.. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi peking super congrats on your awesome approval & thank you for the data points! 😊
Message 3 of 13
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the amazing approval and thanks for sharing
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Does nfcu mainly pull EQ for membership and credit cards?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job on the approval!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Nice SL for Navy
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone! Super excited! Oh yeah, $8k is amazing for me as it's my largest non-store SL to date. Navy pulled TU for the CC and EQ for the CLOC. So this makes 3 HPs on TU from Navy for 2017 but definitely worth it.
Message 8 of 13
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Awesome advice! I was trying to figure out why I was denied with a 670 score when others post 500's.  So this helps! My uti is 28%.  Thx! 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done! Your persistence paid off. This card will grow with good use, too. Again, congratulations!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.