cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU AMEX More Approval! - low scores - the SL...woah.

tag
MochiLatte
Established Member

NFCU AMEX More Approval! - low scores - the SL...woah.

So, I had open heart surgery last year, which led to some issues in credit --- not small issues - massive issues.  Long story short, I opened a secured credit card with them for $500 and 2 months ago added $250 for a total of $750.  I ran about $3k through the card each month - paying in full - and actually on 2 occassions paying too much @ statement closing, where I had a credit (oops). 

My score as of February 2019 were in the low 400s-low 500s, depending on the bureau. NFCU had me at 411 last month. It looked like they did a AR today, and as you can see on the attachments, went from 411 to 522 (still horrible, I know). I decided to try for an unsecured card, as it's still secured (although, I'm not sure when after a AR they would unsecure it). 

I applied for the AMEX More Rewards card - because, why not? 

It seemed like it spun FOREVER. All of a sudden, it says I was approved with a $15k SL and 17.24% APR - probably their highest, but I pay them off in full every month. My gracious.

FYI: I have MULTIPLE RECENT Charge-offs and collections - MULTIPLE.

Weird how Navy is, huh?

-- Side note: I don't have a button to post pictures. Is this a glitch? Wondering if someone can help me with this. Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
CivalV
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU AMEX More Approval! - low scores - the SL...woah.

Well first I want to say congratulations on your rebuild and coming back from hard times. I hope health wise you are doing well!🍾🎊 

In regards to posting photos on here I’ve noticed I cannot use that feature on my mobile device. I can post photos when using my Ipad or Mac. 

Ive noticed a lot of post about NFCU here. Many state that NFCU will not approve one for their credit products if their score is not “640” and above. I have seen approvals below the 600s with NFCU. Where are you obtaining your scores from aside from NFCU? Also did they pull EQ 9 Bank Card or FICO 9 Score? 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!! I am looking forward to progressing soon as well

I applied for a unsecured card with NFCU a few days and was denied. I went ahead and did a 1,000 Secured, also changed my direct deposit to NFCU.  Low 500s as well

Citi secured 200- Had 14 months, PIF monthly

Discover secured for 200- Had 2 years, PIF monthly

Curious if you had deposits made to your checking/savings maybe? Any data points, much appreciated

Message 3 of 24
MochiLatte
Established Member

Thank you for the well wishes!

I'm on my regular PC and can't post pictures - I only see a link button, which is doing nothing for me, though I suppose I could link to imgur, so I'll do that at the bottom of this post. 

I get my scores from this site - for all 3 bureaus. They did indeed pull FICO 9. I have about 1% utilitization - although, I only have 2 cards - both secured (1 with NFCU @ $750 - 1 with CITI (secured) @ $1k). I don't use debit cards anymore - so I put everything through these cards each month and literally make about 15 payments per month on each. Neither card has reported any kind of balance at any time, although I've only had the CITI Secured since January of this year. 

I hope this helps! I have been an established member of NFCU since 2017; direct deposits go into it, as well. 

Message 4 of 24
MochiLatte
Established Member

@Rwigely83 -- Yep, I have a checking and savings - although the surgery depleted my savings. lol

Income - $100k+

Scores per myfico show as - all updated within 1 day or so:

EQ: 495

TU: 587

EX: 519

Click here: Today's score vs last month

Click here for the approval I received

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking your relationship/Income played a huge factor. I just joined them, so hopefully i can grow as well! I have about half that income. lol

Message 6 of 24
MochiLatte
Established Member

Yes! And also, I brought my utilization down to 0-1%. It was like 60%. Smiley Happy I hear they weigh heavily on that, as well.
Message 7 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats! 

Message 8 of 24
MochiLatte
Established Member

Thank you so much!!! ❤️
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV wrote:

Well first I want to say congratulations on your rebuild and coming back from hard times. I hope health wise you are doing well!🍾🎊 

In regards to posting photos on here I’ve noticed I cannot use that feature on my mobile device. I can post photos when using my Ipad or Mac. 

I switch chrome over to desktop mode when I'm writing a post here so I can insert pictures and other options. 

Ive noticed a lot of post about NFCU here. Many state that NFCU will not approve one for their credit products if their score is not “640” and above. I have seen approvals below the 600s with NFCU. Where are you obtaining your scores from aside from NFCU? Also did they pull EQ 9 Bank Card or FICO 9 Score? 

I believe you are confusing NFCU with Penfed. Penfed is much more conservative and 640 seems like the minimum score they are looking for.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.