Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Amex Approval - low SL though

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Amex Approval - low SL though

Well, I got my very first Amex card!  I admit I'm a little bummed though...  they only gave me a $4900 limit, but I did get a 10.65% APR.  Smiley Happy

Only bummed because I have a decent TransUnion score (744 Fico 8, and 710-722 Fico 9, no inquiries at all, no new accounts for at least a year, no baddies) and expected it to be a bit higher!  Hopefully it can grow - maybe they'd like to establish a longer relationship since I just joined NFCU this morning.  

But hey, first Amex ever!  Tempted to try for one of their other products, but am worried they'll give me another low SL.  Is the Amex harder to get than their other products?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Amex Approval - low SL though

Congrats!! it will grow.

Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Low sl would be my original sl of $500. Perspective can be good when one realizes the growth potential of Navy.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I’m mostly bummed because I wanted to do a balance transfer of $5000 and had no real need for the card otherwise. 😅

I guess they’d do another HP if I tried for one of the other cards.. or maybe I should avoid apping again since I’d like to get an auto loan with them in about a month.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. The Amex appears to be harder to get a large cl on off the bat. Like others have said, it will grow. Don't have this one but they started me at 3700 and 2 CLIs later I'm at 20K on both Platinum and CashRewards.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think I’m mostly bummed because I wanted to do a balance transfer of $5000 and had no real need for the card otherwise. 😅

I guess they’d do another HP if I tried for one of the other cards.. or maybe I should avoid apping again since I’d like to get an auto loan with them in about a month.

It will be another HP

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your card, sorry you're bummed. Navy grows with you. Maybe try for a recon on your sl, it couldn't hurt. Dv

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, it's nice to hear it isn't uncommon to start with a lower limit with this particular card.  I was worried about my credit not being as good as I had hoped.  I worked hard on it over the past few years!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.