Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Approval (Low Limit)

tag
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Approval (Low Limit)

Hello everyone,

Forgot to post, but a couple of days ago I was approved for an NFCU Platinum card with a $900.00 SL. I was a little disappointed because of all the success stories with NFCU high limits. I was wondering if I have to use my NFCU checking/savings account in order to get a higher limit or using the card in paying in full will suffice for a CLI in the future? If someone with experience with NFCU can chime in on their use on their cards and their CLI’s etc can chime in that’d be great.

Btw, this is my first NFCU card and I opened the checking/savings account on the same day.
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU Approval (Low Limit)

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 37
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Thanks AZ!
Message 3 of 37
thornback
Senior Contributor

Just use your card responsibly and app for a CLI at your 91/3 (91 days AND 3 statement cuts). Navy will grow.

Congratulations!!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 37
soxfaininfl
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DoctorManhattan wrote:
Hello everyone,

Forgot to post, but a couple of days ago I was approved for an NFCU Platinum card with a $900.00 SL. I was a little disappointed because of all the success stories with NFCU high limits. I was wondering if I have to use my NFCU checking/savings account in order to get a higher limit or using the card in paying in full will suffice for a CLI in the future? If someone with experience with NFCU can chime in on their use on their cards and their CLI’s etc can chime in that’d be great.

Btw, this is my first NFCU card and I opened the checking/savings account on the same day.

Congratulations to you,my brother applied for the same day a few days ago and his SL was only $800.00. From what I ready here either the 91/3 ask for an CLI or wait 6 months. Either way still a good card to have.

Message 6 of 37
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Thanks thornback, so I do not have to actually bank with them? Because I prefer DCU.
Message 7 of 37
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@DoctorManhattan wrote:
Hello everyone,

Just use the card organically for your spend should be sufficient.

One is eligible for a CLI or another card at 91 days and 3 statements. However, given your starting limit, I would recommend waiting 6 months before asking a CLI on your first card.

Usually, the 2nd card should yield a higher starting limit. The 1st card is the one with training wheels. NFCU has you on a probationary period.

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval. Navy wants to see good steady payments and they want 90 days history in order to trust you with larger limits. My first card was $10,000 then 91/3 my second card was $15,000 - in 3 months I’m expecting my third card to be $25K. Navy has been good to me. My entire paycheck gets deposited every two weeks. I will never take my money anywhere else. Navy rocks!!! I promise if you show responsibility with that card - the sky ( or $80,000) will be the limit!
Message 9 of 37
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@DoctorManhattan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have read stories of people who started out with a small SL, as well as Amex. Use your card make multiple payments,

PIF and use your checking and savings. You will build up an Internal score with Navy, then you will be able to get a CLI

and app for a second card down the road. some say after 91 days and 3 statements. I suggest waiting 6 months.

as your internal score will most likely be higher, and should lead to a larger SL JMHO.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.