Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Approved...Small SL but happy!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Approved...Small SL but happy!

I joined NFCU back in December and applied shortly after for a platinum credit card. I instantly got "does not meet lending requirements". I even tried sending a recon message but was once again denied. They listed several reasons why in their denial letter and gave me an internal NFCU score of about 198. I continued working on my credit as I had been already. I know my FICO score from my Discover secured I got back in last April was 563 Smiley Surprised

I had a new (old) collection from Midwest Recovery services pop up in late November and four other collections on my report. From November to January, I had 5 collections removed. All were pay for delete. All my extra funds went to those debts for those months. My utilization went down a little also, I don't know exactly what it was at. But Transunion and Experian alerted me I was now collections free. Also during this time, I pretty much closed all my SCT cards: Victoria's secret, children's place and then I closed my Fingerhut account too.

My FICO scores were now 613, 614 and 618. I know I should have waited until I paid EVERY credit card down but with this "PATH" act tax refund mess, it's taking a little longer to do. I logged into my NFCU account and decided to go for it, which I'm glad I picked the Platinum. I was not immediately approved. It went to "application under review". I thought "hey, it's alot better than the 1st instant denial" but I was still sad. I know it said wait 24 hours but I was anxious. I went to my secure messages and sent an email regarding my application summarizing all the changes I had made since last being declined. Literally, not even 30 minutes later, I got an email to go to my account center to check my messages. I went there and saw my application had been approved! Unfortunately, I could not see the CL or APR. So I had to call to get that info. $500 is a low SL but I know to treat it right and at my 90 days, I'm going to ask for a CLI. By then I know my scores should be around 640-650.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Approved...Small SL but happy!

Nice job. Keep working hard. It will all be worth it. Congrats again and good luck!!....Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I joined NFCU back in December and applied shortly after for a platinum credit card. I instantly got "does not meet lending requirements". I even tried sending a recon message but was once again denied. They listed several reasons why in their denial letter and gave me an internal NFCU score of about 198. I continued working on my credit as I had been already. I know my FICO score from my Discover secured I got back in last April was 563 Smiley Surprised

I had a new (old) collection from Midwest Recovery services pop up in late November and four other collections on my report. From November to January, I had 5 collections removed. All were pay for delete. All my extra funds went to those debts for those months. My utilization went down a little also, I don't know exactly what it was at. But Transunion and Experian alerted me I was now collections free. Also during this time, I pretty much closed all my SCT cards: Victoria's secret, children's place and then I closed my Fingerhut account too.

My FICO scores were now 613, 614 and 618. I know I should have waited until I paid EVERY credit card down but with this "PATH" act tax refund mess, it's taking a little longer to do. I logged into my NFCU account and decided to go for it, which I'm glad I picked the Platinum. I was not immediately approved. It went to "application under review". I thought "hey, it's alot better than the 1st instant denial" but I was still sad. I know it said wait 24 hours but I was anxious. I went to my secure messages and sent an email regarding my application summarizing all the changes I had made since last being declined. Literally, not even 30 minutes later, I got an email to go to my account center to check my messages. I went there and saw my application had been approved! Unfortunately, I could not see the CL or APR. So I had to call to get that info. $500 is a low SL but I know to treat it right and at my 90 days, I'm going to ask for a CLI. By then I know my scores should be around 640-650.

@Anonymous, I am so happy for you, congratulations!  You are IN!! Thanks for sharing the data regarding your journey because it really shows that all the hard work pays big dividends!

If you haven't already, please consider posting the details of your process and success with 'pay for delete' because it's always a topic that members are looking for direction with and you clearly had it locked in!

Outstanding news about your new card and I look forward to following your journey!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your new card!  Nice!

April 2024: Experian 769; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I def will. I did forget to add in there that I filed chpt 7 bk in 2013. I was just waiting until I got my final scores after paying all my cards down (following the advice I got on here). I'm super excited. Milestone and Indigo have been filling up my inbox with emails for prequalification and I never went through with it. I'm glad I didn't.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So exciting! That card will grow fast!

Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

OutstandingSmiley Happy From one intial $500 member to another big CONGRATSSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats I'm also rebuilding and NFCU approved me last night also. I'm hearing great things about Navy hopefully they treat us good.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.