cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI DECLINED: First Navy Setback (NOW Approved!)

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

NFCU CLI DECLINED: First Navy Setback (NOW Approved!)

Hmm, didn't see this coming.

Tried for a CLI (currently @ $3K, was asking for $7K) on my first NFCU Card (Platinum) after waiting 181+ days since the last one and was declined. I sent them a SM after not getting a reply from them for over a week waiting to hear something.

"The request to increase the credit limit on your Platinum VISA credit card was received. Upon review, the Credit Card Lending Team was unable to approve the request at this time. Information concerning the Lending Team's decision has been mailed to your address of record. Please allow 7-10 business days for delivery. We regret that a more favorable reply could not be made to your request. If we may be of further assistance, please let us know."

Kinda puts a damper on trying for a 3rd card and a CLI on Card # 2 in 9-days per my notes.

Per DPs, NFCU pulls EQ9 for CLIs which is currently 799 so that's not the issue.

Been gradening for 90-days as of this writing, so that aint it (I dont think).

Haven't had any spend on it since September, so maybe thats it.

We'll see. I might have to re-evaluate trying for 3rd card and 2nd CLI on card #2 now

Potential Future Cards
25 REPLIES 25
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU CLI DECLINED: First Navy Setback

Sorry for your decline. Hopefully it’s something you can easily correct.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 2 of 26
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry for the decline. Keep us updated when you receive the letter. Also, I think they use TU9 now for CLI, as well as all credit products.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 26
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

That is unfortunate about your denial. Hopefully, once the letter arrives, you can review it and see what needs to be addressed. Maybe you just need more time? Maybe put a token charge on the Platinum?

Message 5 of 26
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that. Always feels

like a gut punch to be declined for something you thought was pretty safe. ☹️

But hang in there. The sting will fade. You're not objectively  any worse off than you were before this. Navy is still great and so are your scores. 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the denial.  Unfortunately, I've also received a recent CLI decline from Navy on my first card issued with them - cash Rewards Visa.  My data points aren't as great as yours so I think I've thrown in the towel with their CLIs.

You may still fare well with the approval of a third cardSmiley Happy.  

Message 7 of 26
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Sorry for the decline, @Wavester64 .

On the bright side, if you tried on day 181... then you still may be in luck.  Due to the delays in approving CLI requests last Summer (remember they were taking around 3 days to approve), I'm willing to bet you applied "too early".  If your letter states the denial due to a recent CLI occurred, then try again.

It may be best to apply 185 days since last CLI, because it looks like they are counting from the day of approval instead of the day we asked for the CLI.

Message 8 of 26
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear it.

Have you been using the other CC that's due for a CLI in 9 days?  If so I would request a CLI on that when the time comes, provided your denial reason was low usage.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 9 of 26
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

Sorry for the decline, @Wavester64 .

On the bright side, if you tried on day 181... then you still may be in luck.  Due to the delays in approving CLI requests last Summer (remember they were taking around 3 days to approve), I'm willing to bet you applied "too early".  If your letter states the denial due to a recent CLI occurred, then try again.

It may be best to apply 185 days since last CLI, because it looks like they are counting from the day of approval instead of the day we asked for the CLI.

Looks like you may be correct. I just got the AA letter today, and it was one simple line for reason:

"There has recently been a change to the credit line on this account"

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.