cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CashRewards Approved...and reconned SL!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CashRewards Approved...and reconned SL!

Ecstatic right now! As an 18 year old in the process of building credit right now, it's really tough convincing lenders I'll be responsible with any credit given to me. 

As a result my following accounts are:

Discover IT Student - $500

Best Buy Citi (I work there so I shop often) - $750

And now CashRewards NFCU - $500 ... but I reconned thru the secure messaging dept. Was able to convince them to up the limit to $1600 - still a baby limit to all of you...but to me it's substantial.

The kicker is I asked for $1400 not $1600...they're great!

I actually applied for CAP1 QS1 card about a month ago but ultimately closed the account two weeks in after paying in full...reason being the SL was a whopping $300 - I have a 721 FICO Score...I would have taken $1000 but $300 was too low. They wouldn't increase my limit. CAP1 is not a company I want to do business with...they're very stingy. Hopefully it only shows as a HP not a Closed Acct...which was closed at my request. 

Anyways enough bragging for now...to the garden I go!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU CashRewards Approved...and reconned SL!

Congrats on the CLI, but in my opinion closing the QS1 because of a low limit is working against the goal of showing the lenders that you're responsible. You're score could be 800 but if you have no history its meaningless. You haven't proven yourself yet. Take things slow. build relationships with these companies. The big limits will come quicker than you think. 

Message 2 of 15
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I agree you are just starting out and haven't proved anything to creditors yet. Navy can be very generous and the exception , but others will probably start you at at lower limits . You need to use the cards and pay them, eventually you will build a history and get better lines. 

Since you opened cap one and used the card and made a payment, it will report the account I am pretty sure.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval but the Capital One card will definitely show up as a closed account. 

Even if you cancel an account immediately after approval, it will get reported as I found out the hard way with my Amex last year which ended up looking like I had it for 2 months and then closed it when I canceled it within half an hour of approval. Yeah, this isn’t a good thing to do. It also got me on Amex’s naughty list. 

Message 4 of 15
Flex1
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Yes, Navy Fed is quite awesome! 😊
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, OP on your Navy success. 👏🏾

Bad call on closing the QS1. Netflix, set it (for auto pay), and go. Your scores are good, but your file is very thin. So, right now they're a bit moot IMO. Navy and other lenders aren't exactly 1:1, so don't confuse that success as a norm. Pump the breaks a bit and let the relationships you have age. You're off to a good start.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your NFCU CashRewards approval and successful SL recon! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval !!!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! Very exciting!!
Message 9 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OMG $1600 is big and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Look at it this way—it’s more than 3x the original SL and something to crow about.

Congrats to you for taking charge.

Note: should not have closed Cap1 but it’s done now.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.