cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship $25k SL - 21 year old College Student, 2nd card!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Flagship $25k SL - 21 year old College Student, 2nd card!!!

9 months ago I discovered these forums and applied for a Discover IT Student card with 0 credit history, receiving a $2k limit. Saturday I nervously applied for the Navy Federal Flagship card in anticipation of some upcoming trips. About 15 seconds later I was approved for a whopping $25k limit! Holy crap I'm excited Smiley Very Happy

For future readers that are considering Navy and have a thin file, there are two things that I did that appear to have helped. First, I joined Navy back in September 2018 and opened a checking/savings accounts. Then, in November I opened a SSL loan (search "SSL Technique") for around $3k with a 60 month term and then paid it down to 8% immediately. I basically have not touched the accounts since then, and had around $500 each in checking/savings. I'll be PIF every month, but I'll definitely be using their bank accounts more now though, so I guess the approval benefits them.

Profile for data points:
FICO: 770 TU, 776 EXP (FAKOs were approx 10 points lower)

Income: $38k

Accounts:

Discover IT Student Card (5k limit, 1% utilization reporting, 9 months)

BoA Cash Rewards Authorized User ($7.5k limit, 7% reporting, 16 years)

NFCU SSL Loan (~$3k, 8% reporting, 3 months)

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Flagship $25k SL - 21 year old College Student, 2nd card!!!

NOICE. You can also product change with them in the future if you wish! 21 year old college grad here. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
You're off to a great start.

Message 3 of 11
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATULATIONS on your Approval, the LEGENDARY SL, and your AMAZING credit building journey!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 4 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Yikes that’s a heck of an SL for a 38k income.  Congrats!!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! It looks like Navy is being super generous with thin files recently.

Also thanks tydawg, this is good to know. I'll evaluate if the Flagship makes sense a year from now.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the amazing limit!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and Monster SL !!!!

Navy strikes again !!!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the monster limit!
Message 9 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Beautiful and thanks for sharing OP

And a humongous congratulations to you. To get a CC with a SL higher than your age is nothing short of spectacular. 

You deserve a million high fives. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.