Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship Prospects? - Update: Approved

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

NFCU Flagship Prospects? - Update: Approved

Friends: Last week, I joined NFCU after reading all the favorable posts here about their products and customer service. Although I'm not a veteran, my father helped liberate Europe in WWII as a member of the 70th Infantry Division.

I'm wondering whether to apply for the NFCU Flagship VISA. Here are my DPs:

TU FICO9 Bankcard: 724

TU INQ: 0

AAOA: 51 months

UTIL: <9%

Income: $400K+

DTI: 16%

What are my prospects for being approved for the NFCU Flagship card and what is your best guess at my starting CL? Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship Prospects?

Honestly? If I had your DPs I wouldn't be worried at all..

Navy hands out some awesome SLs but I wouldn't hazard a guess as they can be hard to figure out..

aaa good luck.gif

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

With those DPs I would be shocked if you didn’t get 25k at no more than 13.99% - we have seen crazy limits on much worse scores but they are more DTI than score oriented so if your DTI supports it, there you go. 

I wonder if that high income would trigger a POI or if they would just give you 25k and request POI when you asked for a CLI?

Message 3 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Pilot I thought you apped for a Venture not long ago? Did they not pull your CRs? If so, you should have at least 1 HP on TU.
Navy is one of those you have to throw caution to the wind and let the chips fall where they may.
They aren't inquiry sensitive or new account sensitive IME.
Of all the banks and CUs I've dealt with, they are by far the toughest to figure out.
Message 4 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I’m confused OP. With those DPs, why would you be worried about approval for any card? Are there any negatives in your credit profile or is there a concern regarding DTI?

Also I think NFCU uses EQ FICO 9.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 17
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
I’m confused OP. With those DPs, why would you be worried about approval for any card? Are there any negatives in your credit profile or is there a concern regarding DTI?

We've all had applications denied, no matter what our DPs! Some lenders are more sensitive to one factor or another. So I don't necessarily assume I'll be approved for any card.

I've read NFCU is sensitive to income and DTI rather than the number of inquiries or number of new accounts.

My reports have one medical collection and a few late payments over the years. 

From what I've read here, NFCU uses TU FICO9 for initial apps and EQ for CLIs.

Message 6 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Good point OP. I have to remember an approval is not always a guarantee no matter how great the credit profile is.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

We've all had applications denied, no matter what our DPs! Some lenders are more sensitive to one factor or another. So I don't necessarily assume I'll be approved for any card.

I've read NFCU is sensitive to income and DTI rather than the number of inquiries or number of new accounts.

My reports have one medical collection and a few late payments over the years. 

From what I've read here, NFCU uses TU FICO9 for initial apps and EQ for CLIs.

They can use either TU or EQ. They do seem to mostly pull EQ for CLI and CLOC and TU for initial apps but that script has been flipped before. The only thing that seems to be off the table is EX. 

Message 8 of 17
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Only question I would have is why your score is not higher

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 17
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

My guess is $15k plus with that DTI.  They may ask for POI with a higher income number like that though.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.