Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Membership and Platinum VISA Approval

tag
Jazee
Regular Contributor

NFCU Membership and Platinum VISA Approval

Decided I wanted a card with low rate being the objective as my USAA has 1.5% rewards (standard) and lots of perks (warranty ext, yada yada).  Wanted something if I have to carry a large balance temporarily I won't pay out the nose in interest. Agonized over going DCU (already a member) or NFCU.  NFCU had 5.99% starting and DCU 8.5% but cash adv rate on DCU is same, NFCU is +2%.  Both no transfers or cash advance fees.  Called NFCU told them my Grandfather was in the Navy (which he was) and had an account opened in about 15 min.  Immediately applied for the card. Got an email next day they wanted proof of income (I'm self employed). Sent a copy of tax return.  Approved at 10.99% $3000 SL this is with TU Vantage 3 Score at 752 , about a 30% debt/rent to income ratio with gross income averaging around $8K a month.  I've got one 4-yo charge off I am planning to negotiate settlement on in coming months so I think that and being a new customer is what preventing me from getting a 5.99% $20K+ card.  I was hoping for closer to 8.99% $5K limit but from all my reading it sounds like CLI's will be larger/easier with NFCU that DCU and others.

So in about 4.5 months went from 1 card at $2500 CL to 3 cards with total $14,500.  Making progress.   My EX FICO 8 is now at 731 and my EQ Vantage 3 is at 741.  Will apply for Discover or Chase Freedom next.  Leaning towards Discover as seems they offer a bit more favorable terms and easier CLI's compared to Chase.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU Membership and Platinum VISA Approval

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Congrats on membership and approval!!! You can ask for APR reduction on 1 year anniversary of card.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 17
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎊🎉🎈 on your approval.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 5 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU approval with new membership!

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 😁

Message 7 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I think right now Bank is tightening their purse on credit line. Only certain occasion based on profile they offered big SL and CLI.

Message 9 of 17
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval!

|  
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.