Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU More Rewards 6/180 Approval

tag
BrotherArt
Established Member

NFCU More Rewards 6/180 Approval

My 6th full statement (but 7th total) for my nRewards secured card cut 2/13/2022. I applied for a more rewards card yesterday, 2/14/2022 after a miracle occured, and i was approved for $3000 at 18% apr. This was after responsible use on my secured card since i got it in august. They never gave me an increase on the $500 i deposited on it sadly, and it has yet to graduate but im hopeful it will in the next day or 2. 

Data points at time of approval were Exp 648, TU 668, and EQ 620. all FICO 8. 10 inquiries on TU, 4 of them from NFCU after apping for cards after 3rd,4th, and 5th statements cut, along with the initial one when i opened my nRewards.

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 5.28.44 PM.png

Now to explain said miracle - Sometime in January, a random collections account showed up on my credit report. I called the company only to realize a close family member used my SSN to open an account somewhere and never paid the bill. I was furious, this was just a month beore my NFCU and Discover secured cards were set to graduate. all my FICO 8 scores dropped to about 620 and i was doubtful for any immediate changes. I contacted the collection agency and the company this account originated with and reported fraud but they wanted a police identity theft report to go forward with removing it. So i chalked it up to a loss, not wanting to get family member in legal trouble.

I went ahead and opened disputes on each Credit Bureau, not thinking it would help at all. Froze all credit reports to prevent this again.

Magically yesterday the collection account disappeared from my Experian report. score jumped to the aformentioned 648. I paid for 3 bureau report on experian app. Seen that it was also deleted from Transunion, score jumped to 668. I unfroze my Transunion and went to NFCU website, was prequalified for every card. Apped and got the More Rewards. I know this isnt the typical list of data points, but if anyone is ever in my predicament, just dispute and cross your fingers. Thanks to MyFico for getting me this far.

Also went and applied for apple card right after, approved for $1500. will make seperate post about that. Now time to garden

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU More Rewards 6/180 Approval

Congrats on your Navy MR Approval!

Message 2 of 12
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the NFCU MR approval @BrotherArt 

Message 3 of 12
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your Navy approval!!

Message 4 of 12
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your More Rewards approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your NFCU more rewards approval Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"...  10 inquiries on TU, 4 of them from NFCU after apping for cards after 3rd,4th, and 5th statements cut ..."

Darn, but aren't you the persistent one! And it paid off. Congratulations!

Message 7 of 12
BrotherArt
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

"...  10 inquiries on TU, 4 of them from NFCU after apping for cards after 3rd,4th, and 5th statements cut ..."

Darn, but aren't you the persistent one! And it paid off. Congratulations!

lol i was determined to walk away with an unsecured card by any means necessary.

a little disappointed it wasnt the lofty 20k limit ive seen so many people get but ill take it, especially considering they pull fico 9 now which means they still see the collection that was just on my report several days ago

Message 8 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU Amex More Rewards approval!

Message 9 of 12
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your NFCU AMEX Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.