cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards Graduation and PenFed Gold Approval!

tag
Borealis
Regular Contributor

NFCU nRewards Graduation and PenFed Gold Approval!

Hey All, I'm bursting at the seams over here!!!

My Navy nRewards secured card began its graduation process on time at 6 months just a few days ago, and I had initially been planning to app for a More Rewards Amex when that happened.... BUT I got a pre-approval offer in the mail for PenFed Gold and was like "Whoa!" Because I've spent the better part of the last year being buried under subprime credit offer junk mail, and that was the first CC offer I've ever been solicited with that I didn't immediately shred. Then I checked on the forums here and saw these PenFed quarterly mailings are kind of a thing. I wasn't even a member of their CU, so I figured I should take this opportunity to get in with them and maybe take a swing at PC-ing to their Platinum Rewards card down the road. So I did the thing and yes they approved me for the Gold with a 6k SL!!! That is by far my largest limit card, so I am very excited!!! 

Since I didn't app for the other Navy card yet (I will, but I want to wait at least until they offer a better SUB, which refreshes in a few weeks), I decided to roll a smaller set of dice and see if I could get an additional CLI over what they just gave me at graduation (from  $1k to $2k). I asked for an increase to 6K, they said it was going under review, fingers crossed!

This community rocks. In the last 11 months I've gone from $0 open lines of credit to $23,000, and my credit scores have jumped over 100 points. Thanks for all the support, advice, and enthusiasm. Taking control of my credit has given me a new kind of hope.

March 2021- FICO8: EXP 549 / TU 571
November 2023 - FICO8: EXP 794 / TU 795 / EQ 836

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU nRewards Graduation and PenFed Gold Approval!

Congrats on the Navy grad. and The PenFed Approval👍

Message 2 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the graduation! You remind me of me just last week when my nRewards graduated. Couldn't speak enough of the excitement I had lol. Just one thing I wanna point out, if you already received an auto CLI at graduation then most likely ur CLI request may be denied as you need to wait 6 months to get another one. That being said, you may be better off applying for your second card. In my case I graduated without a CLI (was already at the $5k max) but right after, I requested a CLI to $13k which was partially approved for $11k two days later. Good luck and I hope it works out in your favor. Let us know the outcome.

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the graduation and the gold approval Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Borealis
Regular Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

Congrats on the graduation! You remind me of me just last week when my nRewards graduated. Couldn't speak enough of the excitement I had lol. Just one thing I wanna point out, if you already received an auto CLI at graduation then most likely ur CLI request may be denied as you need to wait 6 months to get another one. That being said, you may be better off applying for your second card. In my case I graduated without a CLI (was already at the $5k max) but right after, I requested a CLI to $13k which was partially approved for $11k two days later. Good luck and I hope it works out in your favor. Let us know the outcome.

Navy CLI was denied, but I'm not mad about it, nor am I surprised. I figured it was worth a try though. I read your posts, congrats to you as well! I'm going to wait until after the end of the month and see what SUB they offer next on the More Rewards. I'm in a bit of a spot now because the PenFed card put me at 4/24 sooner than expected, so I need to decide if I want a Chase card or if I'm cool waiting a year to app for one of those. Leaning towards "wait" but we'll see.

March 2021- FICO8: EXP 549 / TU 571
November 2023 - FICO8: EXP 794 / TU 795 / EQ 836

Message 5 of 11
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 6 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the rebuilding success, graduation / approval and growing your credit !!  Smiley Very Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 11
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Navy graduation and PenFed approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 11
Marmot
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations !!!

Message 9 of 11
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approvals!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.