Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards Secured Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU nRewards Secured Approved

The last couple years have brought on a series of unexpected financial hardships and my score has fallen from 670 to the mid 400s. Just last year I had multiple cards charged off that remain unpaid. I plan to do PFD for each of them. I'm more financially stable now, and have been securing a nest egg of savigns in case I run into any other issues (that way I won't be dependent upon my credit cards again!). The only creditor relationship that is important for me to keep is with Navy Federal. I have 2 credit cards with them both of which were closed so that I can participate in their PFM program which I am currently in. Each has a balance of 9000 with 10K limits. That being said, those two credit cards are still in the process of being paid off but are currently in good standing. I also have two auto loans with them that are in good standing, and a small NavCheck, $1400 bal, which is suspended (due to PFM program). I am working on paying down my current debts, and like I said, attempting to PFD for my charge offs. 

It might still be too soon to start trying to reestablish positive credit history, but I want to start as soon as possible since my AAoA is essentially starting over. I was declined for a secured card with BofA and Discover. 2 of my CO are with Capital One and Credit One so those aren't options right now. I would like to get a secured card with Navy Federal, but is there any chance of approval with them while I am still paying down my old cards? For reference, they won't be PIF for another 3 years. I don't plan to apply for at least another 6 months.

Any other suggestions for a secured card that will graduate so that I can start rebuilding some positive credit history?

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bad idea to apply for NFCU Secured card while paying off closed cards?

With scores in mid 400's it will be hard to get approved, even for a secured card, though you could try a local credit union. I'm not sure about NFCU. There is a secured card called Open Sky that I believe doesn't do a credit check. You could start with them to get your rebuilding going. Maybe others will chime in with suggestions.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update...I graduated to a $400 unsecured line with Fingerhut from their FreshStart program just this week and was also approved from a $500 secured nRewards card with NFCU. Let the credit rebuilding begin!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congradulations! I hope that your credit rebuilding journey continues on the right path. Navy has always been a generous lender!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats! I also got a secured NFCU with scores in the high 400s and no credit history with them. 

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job. Best of luck on your rebuildSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats! I also got a secured NFCU with scores in the high 400s and no credit history with them. 

did they do a hard pull for secured card?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

did they do a hard pull for secured card?

@Anonymous wrote:
Just to update...I graduated to a $400 unsecured line with Fingerhut from their FreshStart program just this week and was also approved from a $500 secured nRewards card with NFCU. Let the credit rebuilding begin!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they did.
Message 9 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU nRewards Secured Approved

Congratulations on your appvoval! Best of luck during your rebuild Smiley Happy

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.